Clutch Plate Swelling?

12 replies to this topic
  • truckjunky87

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:06 PM

So I did my first clutch job on my '06 450 a couple months ago. IT seemed straight forward and it seemed to go together how it was suppose to. I soaked the plates in oil for 24 hours prior to putting them.

The problem....I've raced a couple of desert races this year and on two of them where the course has had some deep sand and mud I've had to work the clutch quite a bit in sections where there has been other riders stuck. Eventually I can't completely disengage the clutch and I end up stalling it. It also keeps me from starting it in gear forcing me to shift to neutral to start it and jamming it in gear and hoping I don't have to stop or it will stall again. Once I get through the traffic jam and stop working the clutch the problem goes away and I can disengage the clutch if needed.

I assume it is normal for clutch plates to swell when heated but is it typical for them to swell this much? If not, could it be something I did when I installed them? Like I said, it was my first time but it seemed straight forward.

• mikedabike

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yes it is possible to heat the clutch up as you described. I have done it a couple times. No big deal. It happens. If I see guys stuck I try to pick a alternate line and keep my momentum so I don't end up in the same situation as them.

• truckjunky87

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:26 PM

It just that I never had the problem before with the old clutch. Unfortunately, the old clutch was slipping so it had to be replaced.

• mikedabike

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:35 PM

What all did you replace and did you use OEM or aftermarket?

• truckjunky87

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Replaced OEM with aftermarket friction and steel plates. I'm not sure if OEM is steel or something else. Do steel plates behave differently when heated?

• lumpy790

Posted April 04, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Sounds fairly normal......thats why there is an adjust on the fly

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2011 - 09:12 AM

That's one of several reasons I prefer OEM clutch plates.

• Gunner354

Posted April 04, 2011 - 10:00 AM

That's one of several reasons I prefer OEM clutch plates.

Doesn't matter. I have oem clutch components in my yz and the friction discs swelled and did not allow the Rekluse Pro to release and it would stall. Verified with feeler gauges.

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2011 - 11:07 AM

It's one thing for plates to permanently swell a bit as they become soaked, but the OP was complaining that his clutch clearance changed as to how hot it was to the point where it became problematic, then returning to normal after it cools off.

The same thing happens with manually modulated clutches that are subjected to heavy feathering in muddy situations, and to an extent, the OEM plates are guilty of it, too. However, the OEM plates and the higher grade aftermarket stuff will not do this as quickly or to the extremes that a lot of the aftermarket plates will, especially the "bargain" plates one can buy.

• Gunner354

Posted April 04, 2011 - 12:09 PM

OK must not of read it correct. Are talking about the metal plates and not friction discs.

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2011 - 12:42 PM

It's a matter of the entire stack expanding. The friction plates are bonded to a metallic core, so they get in on it, too. More expensive, high silicone alloys and steel plain plates help reduce the tendency.

• truckjunky87

Posted April 06, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Kind of what I suspected but didn't want to throw out the plates when it might have been something simple that I did wrong. The clutch pack I put in was less expensive than others but came well reviewed. I'll look for a higher quality clutch pack and try again. What do I need to look for an aftermarket clutch kit?

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:36 PM

The problem is that you can't see anything when you look except the brand name. You have to go by the feedback from those who have used them.

OEM remains my first choice, but Hinson and GYT-R kits are trustworthy also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.