Sometimes it pays to just take it to the shop

6 replies to this topic
  • The Hill Boys

Posted April 02, 2011 - 04:48 AM

Ok, I picked up a very gently used 2006 a while back. Did all the mods. Still found myself chasing some small, yet very annoying problems. I had purchased a YZ exhaust and after putting it on, rejetting, etc, had a huge backfire/pop issue on decel. Also, it seemed the engine braking was way more severe than it should be. Everything I read indicated a lean condition on the pilot. I would check the fuel screw setting and it would indicate that a larger pilot was needed. I would put a larger pilot in and repeat. This went on until I had a 52 pilot in there and it still acted like it wanted more. :ride::banghead::p

So, off to the shop. Well, after two weeks, the guy did a basic carb service, checked valves, etc. Compression was very low. He feared piston damage. We talked more about how the bike was running etc and that I just couldn't believe there was a problem with the piston. After our conversation, he decided to rethink things.

Well, it ended up being the seal on the carb slide. Bike runs amazing now. No pop on decel. Engine brake is normal. :bonk::banana::lol: Back down to a 45 pilot, 1 1/4 turns out. :cheers:

If you are in Arizona and need some work done on you bike, contact Rudy at DFR (Mesa, AZ). You won't be disappointed. Plus, he is extremely affordable. :bonk:

• MANIAC998

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Good to know! Thanks for the heads-up. Maniac

• 67baja

Posted April 02, 2011 - 11:47 AM

The seal on the carb slide? I can't picture that seal. I am experiencing the same symptoms on my bike after putting the engine in a different frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted April 02, 2011 - 04:39 PM

The seal on the carb slide? I can't picture that seal. I am experiencing the same symptoms on my bike after putting the engine in a different frame.

The O-ring in between the thin plate and the carriage.......

• The Hill Boys

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:29 PM

Posted Image

• 67baja

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Thanks, I will take a look at mine this week.

• The Hill Boys

Posted April 04, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thanks, I will take a look at mine this week.

No problem. Funny thing is, and back to the subject title, the last time I pulled the carb apart and changed the needle, I had pulled out the slide completely. I spent an hour trying to get it back in. One of the little wheels would fall off, then the other, then the other....but each time, the "thin plate" would come off too. I couldn't figure out how to hold everything together at the same time to get it back in. That should have been a clue to me, but having never messed with it before, how was I to know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.