my 2001 wr 426 uses, overflows, or loses 100 - 200 ml
of coolant every ride.
no white smoke.
new water pump seals inner and outer.

so i was thinking of removing the rad overflow
any suggestions?

• miweber929

Posted April 02, 2011 - 04:58 AM

Huh? I would think the opposite way then. If you "lose" coolant then why lose the recovery tank where it can pull coolant from.

Unless I'm missing something...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:51 AM

From what source is the coolant leaking? If the coolant recovery system is working properly, the coolant should overflow into the recovery tank as the engine heats up and then flow back into the radiator as the engine cools down. It sounds like there is a blocked, broken or pinched hose to the recovery tank. Find out why it is not working and fix it, but do not remove the coolant recovery tank.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Are you over filling it? Keep the overflow tank and let it do its thing?

Are you radiator fins smashed? Do you have good airflow? Even worse, are you abusing the clutch?

If you have excessive engine heat, you will lose coolant. You will lose even more without the overflow.

• danfromnb

Posted April 02, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Don't remove the overflow. That's going to make things worse. You shouldn't lose any, unless you are filling your overflow tank to over capacity.

You'll have to figure out if it's overheating or burning it. Like mentioned check for pinches hoses, leaks, etc. Take your rad shrouds off and check the rads for damage. If they are crushed you'll need to replace them. If the fins are folded over you can buy a rad fin comb and straighten them. I washed mine out from the backside with a pressure washer and found a huge difference. (be careful doing this)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.