yz426 question

11 replies to this topic
  • reed_YZ426

Posted April 25, 2001 - 12:43 AM

im about to buy a new bike (2001 YZ426) and i was reading on the forum some people were having problem with some plug fouling issues. are all the 2001 yz426's like that or just some?

------------------
Baseball,Football,Basketball,Tennis, And GolfRequire only one ball. Racing Takes Two

• yzernie

Posted April 25, 2001 - 01:11 AM

It must just be some of them. I have had mine for a month and a half and have not had any problems.

I did have to make some jetting changes but that is a normal thing for me as I live at 4000'and ride mostly at about 3000'.

I love the bike and it is far better than my 98 YZ 400.

yzernie

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 06:41 AM

I have not had any plug fouling issues on my 2001, unless you let someone try to start the bike, that does not know the "routine". If you want the best available 4 stroke that will keep you smiling for a long time w/o a hell of a lot of maintainance, buy it. Just remember to change your oil after either each race or every 3rd ride.

• Ga426owner

I have not had any plug fouling issues on my 2001, unless you let someone try to start the bike, that does not know the "routine". If you want the best available 4 stroke that will keep you smiling for a long time w/o a hell of a lot of maintainance, buy it. Just remember to change your oil after either each race or every 3rd ride.

• Ga426owner

• MXOldtimer

Posted April 25, 2001 - 07:04 AM

I guess im one of the lucky ones, I race my bike weekly and I "STILL" have the same plug in the bike that came with it (im afraid to replace it). The my 00-426 hasn't missed a beat and has been one of the most maintance free, easest bike to take care of that I have ever owned.

Doug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted April 25, 2001 - 08:17 AM

Come on, lets be honest. If you want the best 4 stroke that will keep you smiling forever, and has no starting routine (magic button :D), buy a KTM 520 EXC or MXC. If you don't want to spend $7200.00 :) then buy the second best, the YZ.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 08:33 AM

YZ400court, so you like changing all those oil filters, all the time & paying for the inflated KTM parts, if they are available & MAN orange & grey is such a turn-on with the weird front fender & number plates that are made for 3"numbers --- all for the majic button?
OH, and it corners so well & lands so good off of jumps, w/ the worst suspension......all well worth +$7000.00. Plus the $1000.00 just to get it to land w/o bottoming out!Oh, & where can you race this 520 after next year? In Europe. Or use the 400........The best? I do not think so.

• emcdan

Posted April 25, 2001 - 09:18 PM

I'll have to agree with the others about the KTM 520...it sounds so attractive..I just came from a KTM to my YZF...KTMs are great but look out if you break something or anything ..parts are very pricey and hard to come by. I waited 3 weeks for a for an internal part last year.

• YZ400Court

Posted April 25, 2001 - 09:43 PM

It's so fun to stir the pot.

I am luck enough to have a friend who owns a KTM dealership, parts at cost.

I change the oil in my 400 every ride anyway, changing the filter every time also is no big deal.

Riding 100% desert requires a stabilizer any way(or some really big cahones), why not get the whole triple clamp set up with the 18mm offset. Yeah the 98 YZ turned great, thats why they changed the angle for 2000, did I mention the scotts triple clamps on my 98 that have the 2000 rake angle.

At 300lbs, I have to have the suspension worken no matter what bike I own, did I mention the $1000 dollars spent on my YZ suspension.

I don't live in California where you can not ride Tuesday, every other Thursday, or when there is more than 22%humudity (unless you have a green sticker on your bike), and don't believe Best in the Desert(Nevada) or Whiplash (Arizona), or RMEC (Colorado)are going to ban 520's anytime soon, so I think can still race.

Okay the color makes us all want to puke, but fat guys that don't race mx like magic buttons and tons of smooth tractor power.

Lets not forget the $4000 you'll spend on Titanuim to make the YZ close to the weight of the e-start model KTM520, and it'll never be close to the kick start versions. I tossed the weight thing in for you skinny MX guys. Us fat guys just need to lay off the cheeseburgers for a while. No titanuim necessary here.

Truth be known I love my 98 YZ400. I have not recieved the KTM yet (should be at my house next week). I have honestly got $11,000 worth of recipts for the YZ with purchase price all of the desert goodies, suspension rebuilds, 2 blown engines (that is how it sits now awaiting the new 2001 426 engine to be delivered for another $2500.00) Yes I'll have to add $1800.00 worth of stuff to the KTM, but what the heck it's only money.

Buy the way, anyone want to buy a 1998 YZ400, 2001 426 engine (brand new factory engine), revalved/resprung suspension, scotts upper and lower triple clamp with 2000 rake and stabilizer mount, scotts shark fin, excel wheels 18"rear, terrycable hot start, pro tapers, cyrca probend gaurds, scotts skidplate, devol radiator and front disk gaurds, aluminum throttle tube, cr style braided brake line, braided brake line in rear, 3.2 gal ims tank, big gun exhaust, zing graphics and seat cover, o-ring chain, all stock parts in box including the 98 engine (pistin and head hosed, bottom end okay). I've probablly missed something.
$5350.00

------------------

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 10:22 AM

Yep, it is so fun to keep stirring it up. For what you probably paid for the 2001 YZF motor, you should have sold the 98', kept the "goodies" like the triple clamps etc.... purchased the 2001 426 complete. I paid $4600.00 out the door. That equates to around $2400.00 difference. (Imagine, the weight savings in spending $2400.00 in Titanium....I would not do it)The 2001 426 is a totally refined ,much better -- stronger motor,suspension front/rear, frame geometry,
carbed bike - than the '98 model. It is so totally different-better than the '98 model. I wish you the best of luck with your new purchase, remember there are 3 oil filters to change, about half the oil - the steering rake is difficult for most riders to adapt to, go ahead & order the T4 Procircuit Silencer - you will be happier. Yes, it is lighter. But, I never bought in to the titanium BS. Frankly, because of the cost.Even heavier, the YZF does not give up anything in speed to the 520SX w/4gears, unless you are in the desert & gearing can cure that. At your weight, you will spend $ on any suspension mods on any bike.. So it really comes down to. Is it worth $2000 more for the button & weight? I guess only if your "best" friend owns the dealership

• YZ400Court

Posted April 25, 2001 - 11:06 AM

Okay I won't stir any more.

Reed,
You could make just about any bike foul the plug if you try hard enough. Buy the 426, you'll love it, just as I love my 400 enough to buy it a new 426 engine. It's a GREAT bike.

GA,
I should not have bought the engine, I know. But I thought my KTM was still 6 - 8 months away, and really want to ride. I really don't have a reason to buy the KTM other than it's there. The KTM guy called as I was typing, the bike is in the truck!!

------------------

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.