07' wheel on 03' forks...

4 replies to this topic
  • Tom_H_68

Posted April 01, 2011 - 04:49 PM

I'm looking for a little help as I'm not so familiar with YZ/WR's.

I'm putting together a frankenstien front end using YZ450 forks from an 03' and a front wheel assembly (complete, spacer to spacer) from an 07'. I compared all the part numbers, hub, spacers, seals, and other bits are all the same. The only different part numbers between the two wheel assemblies are the bearings, axle, and axle nut (of course), well, and the rim too but that doesn't matter.

I was wondering if I can use a 07' axle on the 03' forks for the simplest route? I've heard that the 06' and up forks are spaced farther apart so I'm thinking, no. Which brings me to the question... since the only part numbers that are different between the two wheels are the bearings and the axle, then do all I need to buy is a bearing kit for an 03' to make this work?

:cheers:

Thanks for all the help,
Tom

• mikedabike

Posted April 01, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Should bolt right up. You need to use the axle nut from the 03 I believe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_H_68

Posted April 01, 2011 - 04:59 PM

That's what I thought but it seemed a little wonky when I put it together - maybe I'm just being too delicate in my assembly attempt.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Use the '03 axle and bolt it in.

• Tom_H_68

Posted April 01, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, it worked - I was just babying it too much.

Thanks for the help guys.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.