oil leaking from clutch push lever

4 replies to this topic
  • beargap

Posted March 31, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Just had my whole engine rebuilt. started and runs fine with no leaks. Changed the oil for the first time and now oil is leaking from my clutch push lever. Could the seal be down too far? It looks like there is an oil port right at the bottom where the seal would sit at the bottom of the cup that holds it. I guess the oil circulates and lubricates the push lever bearing which is below the seal. During the rebuild, the opening got bent inward a little so the top lip is a little out of round but I don't think the area where the seal is, is out of round.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Oil is delivered under pressure to the left end of the main shaft. It passes from there to the output shaft by way of two holes drilled into the bore for the clutch release arm. If you have a leak there, it's because either the seal or the shaft (or the bore) has been damaged. I don't think the seal can be inserted too deeply.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beargap

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:02 PM

I'm guess the first thing to do is to replace the seal. I'm looking at the manual and it looks like I can remove the clutch pressure plate then back out the push rods 1 & 2, then lift out the push lever, then the seal. Is this correct?

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm guess the first thing to do is to replace the seal. I'm looking at the manual and it looks like I can remove the clutch pressure plate then back out the push rods 1 & 2, then lift out the push lever, then the seal. Is this correct?

Yup..

• beargap

Posted March 31, 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thank you GR. I hope this brand new case is not damaged too bad to hold the oil in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.