scotts s/s filters

10 replies to this topic
  • yamahasocal450

Posted August 08, 2003 - 12:26 PM

ok i was at the dealer gettings some parts etc. and asked them about the scotts stainless steel lifetime oil filters... basically the answer i got was that they sucked becuse they could trap as small shavings and the oem paper filters.. he didnt say anything about flow but im thinking my dealer only wants me to buy the oem filters from them because theyre 13 bucks a shot and that all the factory teams are using them :) do you guys thing theyre good for the engine in everyway or am i really better off with the oem filter :thumbsup:thanks :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 08, 2003 - 12:45 PM

I believe a paper filter is more effective for smaller particles. Drawback is paper can tear. In all my years of riding paper has never let me down. :)

• Lowedog

Posted August 08, 2003 - 01:22 PM

I am running the Scotts filter in my WR 450. It has already payed for itself in the cost of paper filters. Check out Scotts website. They claim their filter filters smaller particles than paper and has better flow. I have been happy with mine. Oil stays clean looking in between changes. It's also amazing to see how much stuff is still being filtered out after 1000 miles.

Posted August 08, 2003 - 01:37 PM

I have been using the stainless filters in my bike going on two years now. I have had zero problems. I know of others that have been using them much longer than that. For years Yamaha used brass filters with no problems. The SS filters are much better than the brass were. IMO.

Another option you can consider is ordering paper filters over the internet. Many times you can save substantially over what the dealer will charge for them.

Hope this helps a little.

• dooweb2

Posted August 08, 2003 - 01:50 PM

well here it goes the factory "brass" for 02 and older are brittle and filter down to 95 microns cna be cleaned prolly 5-7 times 10 is prolly pushing it .the new factory paper/cloth filter filters down to 10 microns the scotts stainless is stronger than the brass and filters down to 35 microns can be cleaned alot the reason they went to paper is because they are now using 300cc less oil and it gets dirty faster ... ive heard this before and jsut read it again in motocross action mag they also say that what filter you use isnt nearly as important as changing your oil at least every 5 hrs and more often is way better

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dominator426

Posted August 08, 2003 - 10:53 PM

Scotts Performance Micronic filter uses a 35 micron stainless steel mesh in billet aluminum end caps. Its superior design provides unmatched protection and is used in Nascar, Formula 1 and off road racing. In comparison, paper filters are rated at 90 up to 300 microns.

• spud

Posted August 09, 2003 - 09:22 AM

Dude, scotts is beter all the way around, cheaper in the long run and is nice to look at :) you wont be disappointed.

Posted August 10, 2003 - 08:46 AM

When I bought my First 1999 WR400.. I bought 6 Brass filters as well. Since then I have cleaned and recycled 4 of the filters every three rides when I change my oil. I have done nothing out of the ordanary....Clean em with brake parts cleaner and blow em dry, making sure that they are clean of any debris. I have had the cases split on both my WR and YZ and they both look like brand new inside.

So tell me why I need to spend a hundred bucks on a stainless filter ?

I think it's just another ploy to pry more money out of our wallets. I have 3 years worth of using the same brass filters to prove that they are more than adequate.

Bonzai :)

• Vibeguy

Posted August 10, 2003 - 09:18 AM

Filter micron ratings can be done 2 ways; Beta and Absolute. The Beta rating is done by passing contaminated oil through the filter and performing a partical size and count downstream. A beta rating or B80-10 means that a filter will trap 80% of all particles 10 microns in size. The absolute rating of a filter is the largest sphere sized object that will pass through it's openings.

Scotts filters are rated at 35 microns, typical quality paper filters like the K&N are rated at 10 microns, not 300 to 900.
The advantage to the Scotts is it's durability which gives it the ability to be cleaned and re-used for most likely the life of the bike. As far as providing engine protection the paper filter has a ever so slight edge, if even measurable over the life of the engine.

My suggestion is this: If you do alot of racing/riding and are changing your oil often you'll be better served by the Scott's. If you are the occaisional rider then go with the paper filters.

• dooweb2

Posted August 10, 2003 - 12:47 PM

i beg to differ with you ive read many places one that i quoted as saying paper filters filter down to 10 and 20 microns and the factory ones filter down to 10 scotts may be stronger but that doesnt mean filters better .. it may filter good enough thats for each to decide Id also like to point out that dominator is quoting an ADD if you click the links youll see . also scotts filters are advertised in the one mag i read ive also read other studies saying the same thing.. again its everyones choice to make I dont know if scotts is good enough id personally thing the brass stocko nes are good enough if your changing oil every 2 hrs

Posted August 10, 2003 - 04:49 PM

Kazi, I think Yamaha quit using the brass filters in the WR450. The brass were fine. My old 86 TT350 has been using them since new. The bike still runs great. Any of these filters will work ok. It just comes down to changing the oil regularly and cleaning or replacing your filters. If you change oil a lot as I do, it just comes down to economics especially in my KTM which uses two filters. I switched to the Stainless to save money. They work just fine. I'm sure the paper would too. Brass also has the advantage of being re-usable if still in good shape.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.