2011 yz snapped plastic cover between tank and motor

9 replies to this topic
  • lil-717

Posted March 29, 2011 - 11:42 PM

So yeah as the title says, went to check valve clearance for the first time and could not remove the plastic under the fuel tank without breaking it, even broken i couldnt get the plastic studs out of the frame they were stupidly tight, so the question is, does that plastic really need to be there? or does anyone have the part number for it?

• APlusAutoParts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 03:57 AM

i just use a very small pick and you have to pull the center pins up and then you can remove those clips, mine gets very dirty so i am assuming it keeps dirt off the top of the head

• Chazmagnum

Posted March 30, 2011 - 04:35 AM

push down on the center of the buttons and they come right out, as per the manual. yeah you read right push down to go up, but really it works.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2011 - 07:01 AM

push down on the center of the buttons and they come right out, as per the manual. yeah you read right push down to go up, but really it works.

That's correct. Push the center section of the retainers down about a quarter inch and they release. Once they are out, you reset the center pins into the up position, drop the retainers back in their locations, and push the center pins back flush to lock them.

Page 1-11 of your manual.

• swaldrop

Posted March 30, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Quick, jump in your time machine now and remove the pins properly and avoid breaking the cover so you won't need an actual answer to your question...

But seriously. I had a tough time with those as well. Not sure what the result would be of leaving it off, but I can't imagine it would be much to replace.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2011 - 01:29 PM

The cover is 33D-24217-00-00, about $25. Repair it with something temporarily, and replace it.

• lil-717

Posted March 30, 2011 - 11:01 PM

or maybe ill bring out the yz 250 for the weekend, cheers for the help.

• brentn

Posted March 31, 2011 - 05:12 PM

I almost broke mine too, but before I went any further I asked and grey showed me the page.
Such a simple design, but without instruction or seeing that particular design before, it's almost impossible to figure out for the first time!!!

• mx369

Posted April 01, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Broke my clip also. Simple fix= tapped the hole in alum and use a allen bolt. Cost $.25.

• eazrider

Posted April 01, 2011 - 07:38 AM

I picked up a product from McMaster-Carr very similar to the Yamaha part, except it works more logically: It has a "knob" on the top of the "pin"...you push it down to lock the plastic rivet in place, and pull it "up" to release it...I seem to remember having to drill the hole out to 5/16, though....

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.