Timing Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • foxwaddless34

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:39 PM

okay so i have another thread refering to this but i figured id make another just regarding this subject. How exactly do you set the timing on a 2006 yz450f. Ive read alot of threads and theyve just confused me more.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:23 PM

The cam timing is all that you can set. With the engine at TDC, place the exhaust cam so that one of the two timing marks is at 9:00 o'clock and the other at 12:00, then line the 9:00 o'clock mark up even with the cam cover gasket flange on the head. Then place the intake cam so that one mark is at 12:00 and the other at 3:00 (If it has three marks, one marked E and the other I, the I mark goes at 3:00 o'clock). Line the 3:00 mark up with the head as before.

Then install the chain tensioner, rotate the engine slightly backwards, then forward again to TDC and double check.

See page 4-27 in the manual. No manual?

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxwaddless34

Posted March 30, 2011 - 08:29 PM

alright...cool thanks. I do have a manual but its so vague i had a hard time understanding and it says nothing about turning it backwards...what the reason for that?

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2011 - 08:52 PM

The engine rotates forward, and pulls the cams along as it does so. Rolling forward into the TDC position duplicates the dynamic that takes place as the engine runs more accurately.

Also bear in mind that the marks will almost never line up perfectly. If you think they are off one way or other, visualize what the mark would look like one tooth either way from where it is. If it doesn't look closer that what you have, what you have is right.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.