2006 KTM 250 SXF - Kickstart Shaft Replacement

5 replies to this topic
  • rickcarte

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:40 PM

The grooves/splines on my kickstart shaft are stripped out. I think it is time to replace the kickstart shaft. Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual? Does anyone know how to replace the kickstart shaft?

Thanks,
Rick

• Mike in Fresno

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:16 PM

thats an easy fix, just take off the right side to access it...as I type Im thinking it may require removing the clutch hub tho, cant remember for sure, sorry

• rickcarte

Posted March 30, 2011 - 04:36 PM

I have ordered a new kickstart shaft, kickstart lever, and kickstart shaft seal. I guess I will just start unbolting the right side near the shaft and see what it looks like underneath. I hope it is an easy fix.

Thanks,

• speedboot

Posted March 30, 2011 - 10:20 PM

first remove the waterpump cover and cirlip an impelor and steel drive pin. . remove all site cover bolts and pull the cover of the engine , dond,t let the waterpomp shaft come out of the engine when you pull of the cover . . best thing to do is set the engine in tdc with the timming marks on the cams sign together. when the shaft come out you have to time it again,so hold it in place in the engine. .

• Dave Hopkins

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:09 AM

Can't over emphasize what speed said about the WP shaft, I hold it down with my thumb while pulling on the cover
Once the cover is off Kstart lifts out easy but as you put it together there is a center punch mark on the gear that goes in first that MUST be in alinement with the spring hole drilled into the shaft, if not in aline the starter will engage at the wrong point

• rickcarte

Posted March 31, 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the help. Next Monday is when i expect delivery of the shat. I may have more specific questions then.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition 2014 by Kevin Reynolds

KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition 2014
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by ktm528/699
  • On May 30, 2014
Forums
Photo

2011 450 sxf rear end seems low by shift1313

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 KTM 450SXF MXA Test by edgeofred

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

private mx track? by riyaadhd

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  166 replies
Forums
Photo

250f maintenance and repair costs by champ1e

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.