450 2010 piston

9 replies to this topic
  • fireball722

Posted March 29, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi I'm at about 45 hrs on my 2010 and not willing to begin the new season with the same piston , wich pistons are good , and is there one with some more performance without using race fuel . looking for people who tried them thanks

• brentn

Posted March 29, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Stock piston is pretty decent, it is a forged unit. I know you want to replace it, but IMO 45 hours is pretty early, this isn't a two stroke.

• tucker78

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:53 PM

Stock piston is pretty decent, it is a forged unit. I know you want to replace it, but IMO 45 hours is pretty early, this isn't a two stroke.

Huhhhh..."this isn't a two stroke" clearly you are misinformed, and have sadly taken the bait.

• brentn

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:57 PM

what bait, what are you talking about?

IMO 45 hours seems a bit short on these bikes given the intake is clean, maybe I'm wrong but there are plenty of people here with 100+ hours on their piston with no kabooms. Maybe you are clearly mis-informed.

• Hooch33

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Lol I know a few people with well into 150 hours on a yz450 piston and the bikes only go to the tracks and they run perfect, change your oil, you'll be ok. Or possibly you could get James Stewart to steal you one :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:08 PM

OEM pistons are a high quality forged unit. Of the aftermarket choices, my favorite is CP.

Unless you are an extremely serious A level racer who wrings the bike our really hard every time you get on it, 45 hours is way too soon to be worried about it. I have 3 times that on mine easily.

• eazrider

Posted April 01, 2011 - 07:49 AM

I had over hard 500 hours on my '04 450, replaced it because I felt guilty, no discernable wear, rings were even within spec...

• geshields

Posted April 01, 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have a CP 13.5 piston in my 2007 and do not need race gas(stock was 12.0). I love the power this thing produces now. I had about 80-85 hrs on my stock one when I replaced and it looked fairly new. However, looks and performance are 2 different things. Mine was starting to get harder to start and with the new piston, it was like getting a new bike.

• yz450fcranker

Posted April 02, 2011 - 01:23 PM

maybe a high compression piston is good because it gives you power but dont let it be an excuse to get rid of the old one

• brentn

Posted April 02, 2011 - 05:32 PM

True, unless your going to be doing a number of changes to accommodate the higher compression like porting and cam work.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.