YZ 426F Upgrades?

20 replies to this topic
  • PaullyD426

Posted March 29, 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to Thumper Talk and bikes in general. I bought my first bike last year and it's an 2001 YZ 426F. I'm absolutely loving it, but I'm wondering what are some common upgrades?

I've done some reading and heard the hotcams swap is a must. Also I want to upgrade the exhaust system, but I'm curious, does the YZ 450 exhaust systems bolt up to my bike?

Thanks for any help,

• pembell

Posted March 29, 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hi there,
I've got a 2002 and the only changes I've made are to put some bar risers on it and move the gear and foot brake levers for comfort! Otherwise it's great.

I'd suggest it depends what you will use it for. I ride in the dunes here, so the cam mod is not important to me - if you were doing racing of any sort, that would be more useful, I'd suggest.

Mine came with a desert tank, which is great for range, but again, not so great for racing. Pic attached.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 01:06 PM

In general, no, YZ450 exhausts don't fit. You may have some luck with slip-on setups for '03-'05 bikes that are made with the mid pipe separate from the muffler, and that have the muffler top mounting done with a clamp that can be repositioned easily. Likewise, certain full systems for the earlier 450's may fit with some tweaking.

If doing the cam mod these days, use a cam like the Hot Cams that was built for the 426 specifically. OEM prices are currently high enough that there is no advantage to using them over the Hot Cams, etc., and the purpose built cam can be timed in the normal manner, rather than the fudging necessary to use a Yamaha 450 part in the bike.

Avoid used cams, and especially those from an '07 or later, as the timing of those is less compatible with your engine.

• PaullyD426

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the response guys. And very nice looking bike. And you're right, I don't race, so the trick to start the bike doesn't really bother me. The bike is already easy to start, so based on those two things, I think I'll pass the hot cam mod for now.

So what exhaust would you guys suggest? I'm looking at the FMF Powerbomb right now, mainly because I can get the slip on and header for just under 400 shipped. Thoughts, suggestions?

• gscx

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Go on Ebay. There are alot of good exhaust on there. There isnt much danger of buying a used exhaust either. 400 is WAY too much to pay

• Catstooth

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Before I'd put any $$$ into a 10 year old four stroke of any kind I'd make darn sure that motor was in perfect shape.

• PaullyD426

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Go on Ebay. There are alot of good exhaust on there. There isnt much danger of buying a used exhaust either. 400 is WAY too much to pay

Yeah, thats way it's taken me soo long to buy a replacement exhaust. Mine is banged up, so it needs to be replaced, but 400 is a lot to put into a bike I only paid 1400 for.

Before I'd put any $$$ into a 10 year old four stroke of any kind I'd make darn sure that motor was in perfect shape.

I'm no bike mechanic, but the thing starts up quick and easy and sounds and runs good.

• pembell

Posted March 30, 2011 - 12:39 AM

I don't disagree with the principle, but my mate's had more trouble with an 09 yz450 and an 08 WR450 in three months than I've had in the last 18!

That might be something to do with him, though.....:cheers:

They seem pretty solid if you do the regular maintenance.

• Ryan426

Posted March 30, 2011 - 03:17 AM

I too have and '01, great bike!

• jcm3

Posted March 30, 2011 - 09:47 PM

I hope to buy a newer one this year, but plan to keep the 426 also as a green sticker bike.

That said, most people can't ride these four strokes to their potential anyway. Mine has a few upgrades (Big Gun exhaust, HotCams cams, JD jet kit, suspension work on both ends), and feels very peppy to me.

I spent a bit of money on it over the last year because I wanted it to be a fun, reliable bike for me. I did the top end, cams, cam chain, rebuilt the forks, changed the shock oil and nitrogen, new chain and sprockets, graphics, etc. I know that those things cost a bit of money, but less than I'd put down on a newer bike.

If I do get a newer bike, this one should remain a reliable bike for me for those times when I need a green sticker, as a friend bike, or just a second bike for whatever reason.

Doing some preventative maintenance is an option to spending money on hop ups, and should increase the life of the bike.

Just my .02c

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spdnjoe

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Here an FMF pipe for $235.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

I also have an '01 426 and love it. Reliable as hell !

• PaullyD426

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I scored myself a like-new used WR-426 exhaust off ebay for less than a quarter of the price I was going to pay for a new exhaust system. And then spent some coin on graphics and plastic. Needles to say, I've decided to keep my bike. In my riding group, I'm still one of the faster guys in the pack, so I'm happy with it.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well if you ever decide to get a better performing and lighter exhaust check out this thread:
http://www.thumperta...8802&highlight=

03-05 450 pipe not a direct bolt on but not too hard to modify.

• PaullyD426

Posted April 01, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Depending on what this WR pipe does to my bike, I may try to resale it and buy a FMF powerbomb header and exhaust.. We'll see.

• PaullyD426

Posted April 03, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Well, i'm pleased, I found myself a great deal on a closeout HMF competition pipe. :cheers:

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Nice post up some pictures of that. I've seen those new competition models and was curious how they looked installed.

• PaullyD426

Posted April 10, 2011 - 10:51 PM

Nice post up some pictures of that. I've seen those new competition models and was curious how they looked installed.

Will do.. Hopefully it'll come in the mail today. :cheers:

• PaullyD426

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

Got it done!

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

Got it done!

Looks good I've got one on my bike! I love it! Ive got the Stage 2 insert in. It feels like it give a touch more power than a stock pipe would (I never had the stock pipe for my 426, so I wouldn't know) The "Race" stage or stage 3 sounded Bad a$$! but it was way too loud for everyday riding!

What graphics kit is that! I want It!

• PaullyD426

Posted April 20, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Looks good I've got one on my bike! I love it! Ive got the Stage 2 insert in. It feels like it give a touch more power than a stock pipe would (I never had the stock pipe for my 426, so I wouldn't know) The "Race" stage or stage 3 sounded Bad a$$! but it was way too loud for everyday riding!

What graphics kit is that! I want It!

Yeah I'm runing the stage 3 race tip, I just fired it up and it's monsterous, I love it!

Heres a description of the kit from ebay.. "'11 FX EVO Graphics YZF 250 426 YZ250F YZ426F 98 02 NEW".. linkage~ :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.