07 yz450f - oil change

7 replies to this topic
  • Kriso22

Posted March 29, 2011 - 04:01 AM

How much oil should my bike hold - i have researched and everyone has said 1-1.2L however i just dropped the oil and a litre came out, i tipped the bike on its side to make sure it was all out and oil came gushing out of somewhere - but i didnt think much of it, until i put the clean 1 litre back in and the dipstick was still dry!!

...so i put more in - still dry - more...still dry!

so now i have drained it all back out....BUT i want to know - where the hell was it all going ??? AND steps to make it work when i get new oil tomorrow and do it all over again.....i have found that people have been saying do the new oil and run mybike for 1.5 minutes the turn off for 30 secs and test the dipstick and it should be perfect...only after all of this had happened though AND i have done oil changes alot of times and never had to start it and let the oil run through...so why now???!

• Hooch33

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Pretty sure under the sticky section up top theres a manual you can download that tells you what to do. But these bike run off a sump, so they have chambers where the oil will be thats why theres drains on both sides. Also in the manual it does say to run the bike to get the correct oil reading on the stick.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Your bike holds a total of 1.2L, but all of that can never be drained out. When you do an oil change with a filter service, it takes exactly one Liter. Oil change without a filter takes exactly one US Quart.

Your bike is a Dry Sump Lube System. That means oil is stored in a section of the engine away from the crankcase itself, pumped to the vital parts, then scavenged up and sent back to the tank. For reasons I cannot fathom, Yamaha has you refill the oil into the crankcase, which is not where it belongs, and not where the dip stick is. So until you run the engine, no oil is in the oil reservoir, and none will show on the stick.

Read up on the Oil Change Procedure and then, if you still show no oil on the dip stick, there could be another problem that you have.

• blueberg17

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Similar issue happened to me. I changed the oil/filter as per instruction manual. Had to let the bike run for at least 5min to see oil on the dipstick, but everything went smooth. The next day I went for a good 2hour ride, came home and after the bike had cooled down I checked the oil. Nothing was on the dipstick! Started the bike and let it warm, and still nothing! I freaked and added half a quart oil then started it again and checked my oil psi nut, oil came out... and it also started gushing out of the dipstick hole!

Any extra oil I put in came right back out. I learned a good lesson though. You really gotta let these warm up for a good 5-10min to see anything on your dipstick.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:22 AM

...I went for a good 2hour ride, came home and after the bike had cooled down I checked the oil. Nothing was on the dipstick!

By letting it cool, you allowed the oil time to drain past the oil pump and back to the sump.

• blueberg17

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:11 AM

By letting it cool, you allowed the oil time to drain past the oil pump and back to the sump.

Exactly. I know this now; but at that time I didn't.:cheers:

• Kriso22

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:27 AM

hey thanks guys for all the help i think i got it sussed now cheers :cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2011 - 06:30 AM

Getting a normal dip stick reading?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2010-13 Issues? by Calhoun117

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Cycra Powerflow Plastic Kit YZ250F/YZ450F (2014/15) by Quake

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 First impressions by Scott_72

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz426 with 03 yz450 sleeve and head. Possible? by MattyDubz426f

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

09 y450 engine in 14 wr450 frame by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Engineering and Technology
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.