Spring rate question

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2001 - 10:33 AM

I have a chance to buy some stiffer fork springs. They are .47 kg/mm and I really need to go as stiff as I can since Im 238 lbs.
Does anyone think they will make a big difference since I am arleady running stock 99 YZ400 springs in my WR? (.46kg/mm I think)

I dont really want to waste a bunch of money unless they will really help.

I checked the archive and someone said WR's are .42kg/mm? Is that right?
Please advise, I hate to pass up on this deal if they would work better for me.

p.s. I ride B class and ride mostly rocky, rough, terrain.

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• Taffy

Posted April 13, 2001 - 11:06 AM

i could be wrong but the springs on the 98/99 were a bit soft at about 42 or 43. i weigh 200lb's & the 46's i fitted in my '99er are great-correction perfect!

if you have a 99 you have 42 springs so the jump to 47's will be great. you may wish you had one weight up but i would save the money & take these.

good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 13, 2001 - 11:11 AM

I replaced my fork springs a long time ago - .48s if I remember correctly. I tip the scales at 250 - you should be fine with the .47s

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2001 - 11:59 AM

I agree, I cant go wrong with a heavier spring, but do you think .1 kg is really going to make that much of a difference? (Remember Ive been running stock YZ springs .46)
Seems like my forks are still pretty harsh in rocks and roots. (frequent bottoming)

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.