09 wr450 wont start

9 replies to this topic
  • yngsniper

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:03 PM

need some help? i was warming up my bike in the driveway for an oil change and it stalled out. not thinking anything of it i went ahead a performed the oil change. tried to start it after i was done and it would not start. gas and choke on but would not start. tore it apart and replaced the spark plug and still no fire. i took out the plug and kicked it over a couple of times connected to the coil wire and their was no spark coming from the plug. any suggestions? about to take it to the shop!

• Brawg

Posted March 28, 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm working on a 2007 WR 450 right now that wont fire...Try this, roll start it. The one i have wont kick or estart sitting still. But pull or push it and it fires right up. I'm going to start another thread on this issue but we might have the same problem.

• wanawakeboard

Posted March 29, 2011 - 12:13 AM

are you using estart? is your button pushed up by the handlebars? you can kick and kick but unless the buttons pushed your getting no fire, I have forgot it before

• mikewrf18

Posted March 29, 2011 - 12:24 AM

Check for continuity at the neutral safety switch connected to the clutch lever. If it is damaged, you won't get spark. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. This happened to me on my 07 WR. It's worth checking.

Edited by mikewrf18, March 29, 2011 - 01:12 AM.

• Brawg

Posted March 29, 2011 - 12:43 AM

My neutral safety works, the clutch lever switch works. I have heard mention of the stator pickup clearance being an issue? I put little faith in that clause because if it is spinning to "pickup" spark...it should pickup spark at all RPM. Any rhyme or reason to the ignition switch button indicator light dimming under varying circumstances? I thought it dimmed if and when amperage was being drawn...ie: using estart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted March 29, 2011 - 01:19 AM

My neutral safety works, the clutch lever switch works. I have heard mention of the stator pickup clearance being an issue? I put little faith in that clause because if it is spinning to "pickup" spark...it should pickup spark at all RPM. Any rhyme or reason to the ignition switch button indicator light dimming under varying circumstances? I thought it dimmed if and when amperage was being drawn...ie: using estart.

My advise to check the Neutral safety switch was for the OP, since it would be a quick/easy thing to check and rule out. Your situation has my mind boggled. I'm not the greatest when it comes to wiring electrical/wiring issues though! :cheers: Good Luck Brawg, I'm sure somebody on here will get you started out in the right direction. I read your post/issue in another thread, just had no good advise to give you.

• Brawg

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:22 PM

My advise to check the Neutral safety switch was for the OP, since it would be a quick/easy thing to check and rule out. Your situation has my mind boggled. I'm not the greatest when it comes to wiring electrical/wiring issues though! :cheers: Good Luck Brawg, I'm sure somebody on here will get you started out in the right direction. I read your post/issue in another thread, just had no good advise to give you.

THanks!

• wanawakeboard

Posted March 29, 2011 - 10:47 PM

any chance you blew a fuse?

• Salinas_THumper

Posted June 12, 2011 - 01:59 PM

Are ther fuses on these bikes? i stalled my 05 out today and after that the red light on the ignition switch would not light up in neutral and the e start would not do a thing. I was able to kick start it though without any problems

• yngsniper

Posted June 13, 2011 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for all the suggestion. Still couldn't get it running. Took it to the shop and it was diagnosed with a broken stator. Apparently it acts like an alternator on a car and provides electrical current to the spark plug. $150 dollar part

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.