Thinking of trading my 06 for an 05 KTM 250exc

16 replies to this topic
  • lexintexan

Posted March 28, 2011 - 06:50 PM

I am thinking of trading my 2006 yz450f for a 2005 ktm 250exc 2 stroke. Has anybody ridden one? Thoughts? I am looking for a bike that can do it all, track days and woods riding. Would I be better off keeping the 06 and setting it up for woods a little better?

my bike has; White bros exhaust, enzo suspension, asv levers, new tires, new chain and sprockets, etc etc. and I love it on the track, not so much on the trails.

The ktm has; rekluse clutch (something ive wanted to try) computer, etc.

Thoughts?

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:13 PM

My thoughts?

I'm completely and irreversibly done with two-strokes.

• mikedabike

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:21 PM

My thoughts?

I'm completely and irreversibly done with two-strokes.

Blasphemy, they are gonna come after you.:thumbsup:

Although I have to agree with you.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Blasphemy, they are gonna come after you.:thumbsup:

Then let them come.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:57 PM

I'm gonna preface my comment with this: You most likely WILL NOT get an unbiased opinion here. And, you have to weigh the info, and choose based on what suits YOUR needs the best.

I really like my YZ, A LOT, for track, and certain kinds of trails (the more "open" types). I began riding on 4-strokes, so I've got a "bias" there..... On the track, it has way better manners, power-wise & suspension-wise, than my old 300 two-stroker KTM. I plan on hanging onto this bike for a good long while. :lol:

That said, I've also had very many good races & rides on 2-strokes as well. :thumbsup:

I guess I'm a believer in the "Use the best tool for the task at hand" adage. :ride: In some cases, there's no substitute for the YZ450. It will simply work better than my KTM in certain situations. And then I've had times when I was ready to lay on the forest floor in the fetal position, crying for my old KTM 300 MXC to come back...... That bike was WONDERFUL in tight single track, or situations where the bike died on a steep hill, & re-starting was much easier. That KTM 2-stroke worked passable at the mx track, was good at enduros & GP/scrambles types of events, and REALLY GREAT at trail riding & racing in the tight, twisty, snotty stuff we have up here on the west side of the Cascades.

My personal opinion is that the KTM 2-strokes are probably as close to one of the best "do-it-all" bikes made as you can find. For people that can have only one bike, and wanna ride a huge variety of riding, those bikes have to be considered at the top of the list...... :bonk:

Jimmie

• Sierra_rider

Posted March 28, 2011 - 08:14 PM

For offroad, you'll probably like the 2t better. Having had both and having to narrow my stable down to one bike, I'm exclusively a 2 stroke owner.

As far as which one is better for the track, that is entirely a matter of opinion.:bonk: My guess is that you would appreciate the yz450 more just because that is what it was originally intended for.:thumbsup:

If I were you, I would make a decision about which type of riding you're going to do more as it's hard to have a bike that is good at both.

• step655

Posted March 28, 2011 - 08:15 PM

depends on what kinda rideing you do if u just like to cruse on a dual sport do it
if
you like to switch it up n hit a little moto and xc keep the yz450
the 250exc are gutless

• lexintexan

Posted March 28, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I am in Colorado, Denver specifically, and there is quite a bit more easy access to local mx tracks than driving for quite a ways to get to decent off road stuff. The off road here isnt too nasty and root filled. Lots of decomposing granite.

That is interesting about the 250exc being gutless, I had read that once before and figured it was a mistake for the 4 stroke ktm. I figured they would be just about like any other 250 mx bike, with softer springs and headlights etc.

I was just out in the garage changing the oil of the 450, and damn it is a sweet machine!:thumbsup:

Would still like to hear from others who have ridden a ktm exc. I am in search of that "do-it-all" bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:16 AM

If you like power, the 300's are pretty well fixed along those lines. A lot of people like them.

But they aren't Thumpers.

• Kx450fguy

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:18 AM

it basically comes down to what you want. if you want a 2 stroke then go with the ktm if you enjoy riding 4 strokes then stay with your yz. i think the yz is better personally but if i was a 2 stroke guy i would go with the 2 smoker. they are pretty even bikes for what they do so it comes down to what you want

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I am in Colorado, Denver specifically, and there is quite a bit more easy access to local mx tracks than driving for quite a ways to get to decent off road stuff. The off road here isnt too nasty and root filled. Lots of decomposing granite.

That is interesting about the 250exc being gutless, I had read that once before and figured it was a mistake for the 4 stroke ktm. I figured they would be just about like any other 250 mx bike, with softer springs and headlights etc.

I was just out in the garage changing the oil of the 450, and damn it is a sweet machine!:ride:

Would still like to hear from others who have ridden a ktm exc. I am in search of that "do-it-all" bike.

have kind of had them all...
i had a trials bike that i traded to a guy for a ktm 250exc, that i have since sold.. the bike felt fine, until you rode it back to back with my gas gas 300, then it was gutless.. the gg feels like it has the same low end power my 06 wr450 had, but way lighter.. it is like everyone says, it is what you like and what you are comfortable with... sorry gray, still mixing gas...:cheers: would still like to try a yz450 alum frame reklused bike on our stuff here, just not in the cards yet...

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:32 AM

... if i was a 2 stroke guy i would go with the 2 smoker.

Well, now, that's profound. :cheers:

The YZ450 and the KTM250EXC are not "pretty even" in any way other than their overall physical features. One is a purpose built MX bike, the other a mid displacement enduro machine with about 2/3 the power of the YZ. Again, the 300's are more on an equal footing from a performance standpoint.

If the "woodsier" bikes appeal to you overall more than the MX'ers do, the bigger KTM would be something to look at, but an alternative suggestion among two-strokes would be a YZ250. They are a proven, reliable, affordable bike that a lot of guys have made into a woods monster quite successfully.

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:02 AM

one of the guys who rides with us has a steel framed yz 250 gray.. that bike is very good.. he also has a gg300 like mine that shattered the tranny, so he has spent alot of time on the yz.. he says the susp is better on the gg, as is the low power, but the yz actually turns better and better top end, and feels lighter.. he bought the yz while the gg was down. i think it is an 01, paid less than a grand for it...

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:19 AM

The steel frame bike would have inferior suspension compared to the GG, or to any of the aluminum ones, since that would make it an '04 or earlier model with older open bath forks. '06 and up are a whole different deal, and even the '05 is very good with a bit of work.

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:26 AM

The steel frame bike would have inferior suspension compared to the GG, or to any of the aluminum ones, since that would make it an '04 or earlier model with older open bath forks. '06 and up are a whole different deal, and even the '05 is very good with a bit of work.

that is exactly what i hear... there have been some very low hour 05 and 06's for sale around here lately... had always heard how good those bikes were for offroad. he is a very good rider and could ride a big wheel 80 and stay with us no problem, but he has done nothing to this bike.. no fww, no regear, just handguards, that is about it..

• Kx450fguy

Posted March 29, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Well, now, that's profound. :cheers:

The YZ450 and the KTM250EXC are not "pretty even" in any way other than their overall physical features. One is a purpose built MX bike, the other a mid displacement enduro machine with about 2/3 the power of the YZ. Again, the 300's are more on an equal footing from a performance standpoint.

If the "woodsier" bikes appeal to you overall more than the MX'ers do, the bigger KTM would be something to look at, but an alternative suggestion among two-strokes would be a YZ250. They are a proven, reliable, affordable bike that a lot of guys have made into a woods monster quite successfully.

i meant that they are pretty even in that for what they do, they are very good bikes for the type of riding they are designed for. the exc is meant for woods and a yz is better for track and wide trails IMO. its all whatever appeals to you.

and it actually is pretty profound because if someone says "hey have my 1991 cr250" and another person offers him a 2011 yz450. die hard 2 strokers would take the cr and someone that doesnt really care would take the 4 stroke even though they may have been a 2 stroke guy before. and btw he is not asking about the yz250. his options are exc and the yzf

• bentsprocket

Posted March 29, 2011 - 10:40 AM

that is exactly what i hear... there have been some very low hour 05 and 06's for sale around here lately... had always heard how good those bikes were for offroad. [COLOR="Red"]he is a very good rider and could ride a big wheel 80 and stay with us no problem[/COLOR], but he has done nothing to this bike.. no fww, no regear, just handguards, that is about it..

Sad but true. :cheers::ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.