YZ426f in the woods and trails?

16 replies to this topic
  • MINGHAG

Posted March 28, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have the chance to get a yz426f in good shape for a good price. But i only ride woods and single track and rarely a mx track. Would i be disappointed with this purchase. Do these things like to overheat when the riding gets slow? Any help is appreciated.

• mattyz426f

Posted March 28, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thats pretty much what i do with my 426 and i love it... I stay in third the whole time almost... awesome power and only weighs about 35lbs more than a 250! youll love it

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 28, 2011 - 04:54 PM

The yz426 is not a good woods bike. The transmission isn't geared for it, the motor and ignition aren't setup for it, and neither is the suspension. You would honestly be better buying just about any other bike. I ride with 2 guys that ride them, and while the motors make a ton of power, everything else about that bike is not good for woods. 4 strokes have gotten exponentially better in the last 8-10 years, and in no place is it clearer than with the yz426. Get a real trail bike like a wr and your life and your right foot will be much happier. Seriously, buy any other bike, but not that one.

• mattyz426f

Posted March 28, 2011 - 05:04 PM

I agree for tight single track they are alittle jumpy I guess I meant for alittle more open riding most of the areas I ride are open (dunes, RRMC Red River Motorcyle Trails) etc...

• gettintall

Posted March 28, 2011 - 05:09 PM

I bought a really nice yz400f and thought I would like to trail/woods it and I loved it on the open trails and hated it in the woods,way to fat for me in the woods.

• MINGHAG

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Now im thinking of staying with a trail specific bike like a ktm 200/250.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 29, 2011 - 04:46 PM

The yz426 is not a good woods bike. The transmission isn't geared for it, the motor and ignition aren't setup for it, and neither is the suspension. You would honestly be better buying just about any other bike. I ride with 2 guys that ride them, and while the motors make a ton of power, everything else about that bike is not good for woods. 4 strokes have gotten exponentially better in the last 8-10 years, and in no place is it clearer than with the yz426. Get a real trail bike like a wr and your life and your right foot will be much happier. Seriously, buy any other bike, but not that one.

Lower gearing is all you need. I rode a YZ426 in the woods for 6 years and had zero complaints. I liked it more than my 06.

• nathanpa01

Posted March 30, 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm another one who would say go for it. I have an '01, with a 13t sprocket on the front and a 49 in the rear. Tune the suspension to your liking and riding type. I have been VERY happy with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 30, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I'm another one who would say go for it. I have an '01, with a 13t sprocket on the front and a 49 in the rear. Tune the suspension to your liking and riding type. I have been VERY happy with it.

I ran 13/52 gearing on my old 00, it worked great.

• nathanpa01

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:10 AM

Did you have any trouble keeping the rear tire planted with a 13/52 combo?

• four2sixxer

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Kinda glad I found this as I went riding monday in some pretty tight tech stuff only complaint I had was I stalled on some pretty nasty hills... cornering feels a little weird but you can master that. In the tight rough stuff I was stalling as well is there anyway to fix that? Ive been looking to move to a 2t cause of it. But all that aside I really enjoy my 426 good power real fast and not too heavy lol. Sorry if I hijacked your thread :cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:50 AM

Stalling can be reduced by adding flywheel weight and by becoming a master of the clutch lever. If you are not averse to spending money ($300-$600) on an auto clutch setup, there are solutions from Rekluse and Rev-Loc that can virtually eliminate the problem.

• spdnjoe

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:23 AM

I went with a 14oz Ty flywheel weight as Grey reccomended and haven't stalled my bike once since. It totally converted the bike. I can lug it like an XR400 or get on it. Hardly even noticable in power loss.

• steam

Posted March 31, 2011 - 01:38 PM

I thing you would love the 426f. I ride mine in the woods here in British Columbia with great success. I geared mine to 13/50, set up the fork with 5wt oil at the minimum amount, modified my clutch lever so you can actually pull it and guarded it up. I ride the $hit out of it and it never lets me down. Ya, the newer bikes have smoother power and better suspention, but the old 426f will go down as one of the most dependable bikes ever produced.

cheers.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Did you have any trouble keeping the rear tire planted with a 13/52 combo?

No, keeping the front down was the chore.

• mattyz426f

Posted April 01, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Im running 14/50 and stay in 2nd and 3rd pretty much the whole time in trails love it

• Ryan426

Posted April 01, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I ride single track in the desert. No probs with my 426. 14/49 in what I'm running. Also no trouble lugging around in 1st. I say get it if it's a good deal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.