Help! (Banging noise)

5 replies to this topic
  • Raphi_Hanessian

Posted April 23, 2001 - 02:06 PM

I own a Yamaha 1999 YZ400, which I have owned for a little over 1 year. I have been riding for ~ 2 years and ride a 60/40 track to trail ratio. My riding terrain covers anywhere from Pismo Beach to Big Bear California.

I have been experiencing a problem with my bike but not so often that it requires a service call. This has happened 3 times since I have owned the bike and it's been difficult to associate it with any one item: new air filter (Installed dry with tacky spray 1-2 days prior to ride), new oil change, elevation (2000-7000'), outside temperature (32-75 F), or after I wash my bike.

When I start my bike (w/choke), it turns over after a few kicks and idles fine and I usually let it warm up for ~ 5 minutes. After it is warm, as I start to turn the throttle, 3-4 mm, I get a really loud banging sound, if I continue to turn the throttle the engine dies and it seems like it's not getting enough air/gas? This exercise usually continues for ~ 10 minutes in which I continue to turn the throttle and listen to the loud banging. Over the span of 10 minutes it seems to get better until all of a sudden it will open up and rev normally.

This banging occurs only at the beginning of the ride and my bike rides fine the rest of the day with no riding or starting issues, until last weekend. This occurrence happened after a 4-hour ride at around 7000'.

Thanks for taking the time to read this memo and for your response.

RaphiH

• mcarp

Posted April 24, 2001 - 06:46 AM

My guess is that you're running a little lean, so the bike isn't warming up quickly. Another guess is you're spark plug gap is off or maybe the header needs to tightened a little.

It doesn't hurt to remove the carb and clean it up, too. Maybe there's some crud in the float bowl.

• mcarp

Posted April 24, 2001 - 06:46 AM

My guess is that you're running a little lean, so the bike isn't warming up quickly. Another guess is you're spark plug gap is off or maybe the header needs to tightened a little.

It doesn't hurt to remove the carb and clean it up, too. Maybe there's some crud in the float bowl.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf

Posted May 03, 2001 - 10:16 AM

please try to describe your banging noise better? where is the noise comming from ? is it more of a ticking noise or thumping noise?

• Raphi_Hanessian

Posted May 03, 2001 - 10:57 AM

Originally posted by yzf:
please try to describe your banging noise better? where is the noise comming from ? is it more of a ticking noise or thumping noise?

Thanks for your response. It is definitely a loud thumping or popping like noise, some might associate it with a backfire type sound. It seems like it is coming from around my right leg area as I'm sitting on the bike, header to muffler area? (One note, I don't have the greatest connection, power core IV to stock header w/no o-ring). It only makes the noise when I attempt to turn the throttle 2-3mm, never while Idling or when the bike is moving and only at the beginning of the ride except for that one time.

• enmerdeur

Posted May 03, 2001 - 02:03 PM

My vote is an air leak in the exhaust somewhere. Once the bike gets warm the pipe probably expands enough to seal it. An air leak will cause backfires.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.