Removing clutch basket?

2 replies to this topic
  • maddshaggy

Posted March 27, 2011 - 10:59 AM

I have to remove the clutch basket to get to my kick start on my 03 WR450F. What do you use to hold the basket for removal? I do not have the clutch holding tool. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted March 27, 2011 - 12:53 PM

If you're only replacing/servicing the kickstart mechanism, you don't need to remove the clutch basket. Just leave the clutch where it is and remove the side cover. You'll only need to remove the clutch if you're replacing the kickstart stopper. If that's the case, remove the pressure plate and leave all the clutch frictions and steels in place. Put the bike in gear and hit it with an impact wrench. That should do the trick. In the absence of an impact wrench, you might be able to press on the clutch stack with one hand and quickly snap your ratchet with the other. If that doesn't work, get the holding tool. Achieving proper torque upon re-assembly will be difficult without it.

• maddshaggy

Posted March 27, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Got ya bg10459. Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.