2004 WR450 Problem

6 replies to this topic
  • res0tm5t

Posted March 27, 2011 - 05:54 AM

First time posting but I will be as detsiled as possile.

Bought a 2004 WR450.

Mods:

Zippy Ty air screw set at 2 turns out
Main jet = 168
Pilot jet = 45
Starter jet = 65
Never messed with the needle setting I assume it is set to factory
Uni air filter
Corked exhausted pipe
Boyseen accelerator quick shot 3 = adjustable

When purchased I tour down the carberator & cleaned it all up because the bike sat with gas for a few years & I have replace all the fuel lines as well.

My problem is when I throttle blip the accelerator it bogs & sometimes dies. I have adjusted the quick shot all the in & all the way out & still did not notice a difference. I was thinking my jets are wrong any suggestions. I live in Dallas Texas if that helps with the sea level.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

• SPLATT

Posted March 27, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Sounds like you need to possibly adjust the accelerator pump timing.

Steve

• Leardriver

Posted March 27, 2011 - 09:34 AM

Did you replace the pilot jet? Cleaning it rarely works. A 45 pilot is ok. The main should be a 165, even a 162 when it gets hot in Texas. That won't affect the low end anyway.

Try blipping the throttle with the choke or enrichener on. If it works better, that clarifies that the pilot is still a little plugged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • res0tm5t

Posted April 30, 2011 - 12:23 PM

Ok guys update on the jetting. I installed a JD jet kit today by following the instructions. [COLOR="Red"]I have a 170 main jet, red neddle with 4th clip, 45 pilot jet.[/COLOR] When we went on a ride my bike overheated and steaming so bad that the carberator started pushing fuel out of all the hoses. I then decided to open the gas tank and man there was a ton of pressure. I assume that this is what was causing the bike to leak gas out of the carb when it wasn't even running. I then got towed back to camp and flip over the gas vent coming out of the gas cap, so now there is no reason for the pressure to build up in the tank. Went out on another ride and the bike did get hot and started steaming agian but no gas came from the hoses. ANY IDEAS!!!

• miweber929

Posted April 30, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Your jetting should not be causing the overheating problem, I think your chasing 2 different issues. How mechanically inclined are you? If your not, dealership. Otherwise you need to think back to ANYTHING else you may have done that could be causing the overheating.

I'd start by flushing the cooling system and refilling, checking your waterpump out and checking hoses. Something's out of wack with the cooling system and should be pretty major, you just need to find it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 30, 2011 - 11:22 PM

I had this same problem.

1. do the o-ring mod to the carb. If you've done it already, check the o-ring to make sure it hasn't snapped. That can happen.

2. change your leakjet. I went from a 50 to a 40 and it stopped the bog. You may even want to go to a 30

both of the steps above can be handled with a kit from r1dean.com. but you can also do it much, much cheaper

• dgcars

Posted April 30, 2011 - 11:43 PM

Ok guys update on the jetting. I installed a JD jet kit today by following the instructions. [COLOR="Red"]I have a 170 main jet, red neddle with 4th clip, 45 pilot jet.[/COLOR] When we went on a ride my bike overheated and steaming so bad that the carberator started pushing fuel out of all the hoses. I then decided to open the gas tank and man there was a ton of pressure. I assume that this is what was causing the bike to leak gas out of the carb when it wasn't even running. I then got towed back to camp and flip over the gas vent coming out of the gas cap, so now there is no reason for the pressure to build up in the tank. Went out on another ride and the bike did get hot and started steaming agian but no gas came from the hoses. ANY IDEAS!!!

Nothing to do with your overheating problem.....but now you will be creating a vacuum inside the tank. ie...fuel will not come out of the petcock

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.