2010 2011 YZ450f Fork Height Survey

8 replies to this topic
  • Brady84

Posted March 26, 2011 - 11:55 AM

Just wanted to see where everyone is running their forks in the clamps? Mine are flush with the bottom of the top cap, no leg showing. I'm running at least 5mm on my 05 YZ125 and feel like it still turns better than the '10...could just be a 125 vs. 450 thing though.

Where you guys at and why?

• brentn

Posted March 26, 2011 - 01:43 PM

I've left it alone.

Recently I've run my static and race sag on this bike weighing myself at 200lbs. Front it almost spot on and the rear is too stiff, this bike was deg sprung for a heavier rider in mind. With that point made I'm going to get the springs right for the front and rear before I start playing with fork height.

• Chazmagnum

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:34 PM

flush for the wide open sand track and up 5mm for the tighter hard pack track. Note: up 5mm on the wide open sand track is almost unrideable... holy headshake!!!

• ChillyKTM

Posted March 27, 2011 - 04:57 AM

You think the bike was set for heavier than 200 lb rider ?? What ? !
i am 175 and had to tweek the rear sag just a touch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Depending on the track/terrain and where I set final rear sag setting, the fork height is slid up anywhere from 2 to 4mm.

• THE-OG-694

Posted March 27, 2011 - 10:25 AM

pro circuit linkage arm installed and the forks raised up in the clamp about 1/4 inch, sag set at 100, best stock suspension I've ever sat on...

• Brady84

Posted March 27, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Raised mine 5mm up today and it made a big difference to me. It turns a bit quicker which is nice but it it has a lot more bite on the front wheel. The added front wheel traction removed the knife in tendency I was feeling. Great adjustment!

• brentn

Posted March 27, 2011 - 04:14 PM

You think the bike was set for heavier than 200 lb rider ?? What ? !
i am 175 and had to tweek the rear sag just a touch

Yea I kno, rear spring is just one or two sizes too stiff and the front is just about spot on. My race sag on the front is off by about 10mm.

There's more info here on this;

I will admit that when I did the rear sag measurements I was not standing, but sitting. I might take both the front and rear again standing with my gear on and see if the measurements differ...

• 95s10nj

Posted March 28, 2011 - 09:16 AM

I've tried raising my works up in the clamps anywhere from 3-5mm and the resulting headshake just made the bike almost unrideable. My sag seems to best right at 102-103mm. Note that my bike has a full revalve and different rear spring rate for my 165lbs.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.