Is pump gas ok to run in my yz450???

11 replies to this topic
  • jasen 2007

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:35 PM

I see in my manual it says to run 95 octane in my bike. Problem is that's not easy to come up with. So what are you guys running? Race fuel, 93 with octane boost? What should I run? I do mostly aggressive trail riding, hill climbs, jumps...
Thanks

• Leardriver

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Pump gas is what teams of engineers designed it to run on. Anything else, and you become the engineer.

• mikewrf18

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:54 PM

I've been running premium unleaded for years with no issues. 93 octane, nothing else, and I do mostly hard trail riding from 500-3000 feet.

• jasen 2007

Posted March 26, 2011 - 04:48 AM

Pump gas is what teams of engineers designed it to run on. Anything else, and you become the engineer.

Um, I have never seen pump gas with a 95 octane rating... the only reason I even gave it second thought is because I happened to look in the manual and it specifically said no less than 95 octane. Yes I also agree when you start changing things you become the engineer, EG fuel.

• William1

Posted March 26, 2011 - 05:31 AM

Was the 95 octane RON or MON or something else?

As Lear and Mike say, pump premium is what the bike was designed for. Work the numbers, you'll see.

• jasen 2007

Posted March 26, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Haha, I dont know... off to the book again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:17 AM

For races 91 or 93 octane non-ethanol.
For play riding or taking friends out I'll use anything. Sometimes even a little bit of my two stroke premix to top it off. :thumbsup:

• NSF3537

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:26 AM

I run pump 93 octane in my bike with no problems. My buddy who is a M.C. Tech and Vet. pro racer only runs V.P. in his bikes, not because of H.P. increase but because he believes pump gas is garbage. He has seen bikes come into his shop not running right and the reason is water in the fuel. Knock on wood I have not gotten a bad batch yet.

• William1

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:43 AM

Those that have carb problems due to fuel will have them irrespective of the fuel.

These people leave their bikes outside in the rain, use a pressure washer, leave the bike full of untreated fuel for six months and so on.
Race fuel is even less stabile than the worst pump gas.

• Leardriver

Posted March 27, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Willian, it's nice to hear you say that about race gas stability.

I've always suspected that from conclusions that I've drawn, but never heard it.

• William1

Posted March 27, 2011 - 10:47 AM

I suppose I should of added to my race gas comment that it matters if the gas is a full sealed metal can or a half can. Like Orange Juice, once you crack that cap, you have to chug.
My own take on race gas is it is an ego thing. "Yeah, I have to run race Gas XXX. I do not need it but I love lapping people more than once......" When the guy has never raced and rides up and down his street PO his neighbors. When a rider can ride a clapped out TTR in a A class of 250MXs and smoke them, makes you know where the focus really needs to be. Years ago, I was a road racer. Had been doing it for a few years, had a pretty nice, worked on bike. This guy shows up with a totally beat RD350, I mean beat. This was his second or third race. He smoked EVERYONE, even Team Yoshimura. Freddie Spencer.

• NSF3537

Posted March 27, 2011 - 05:30 PM

Those that have carb problems due to fuel will have them irrespective of the fuel.

These people leave their bikes outside in the rain, use a pressure washer, leave the bike full of untreated fuel for six months and so on.
Race fuel is even less stabile than the worst pump gas.

You are correct with what you said about power washers, bikes in the rain and so on, but I have heard of some pump gas having water in it because some places water down there fuel. As far as race fuel being less stable, I thought it was the opposite. I thought race fuel didn't brake down like pump fuel that has ethanol in it. Again, I use pump fuel in my bike because it works and I dont feel that it is worth the extra money. However, my son's 2 stroke had engine work done, cylinder was ported and polished, head was cut and polished and I was told by the engine builder that I should use race fuel. Is he wrong?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.