rear spring change

7 replies to this topic
  • DesertChris

Posted August 07, 2003 - 09:16 AM

Had to be one of the best things I have done. Original spring was a 5.0, new one is a 5.4. I weigh 216 without gear. Oddly enough after setting sag, the new spring seems softer on top but has a much better cushion on landing. If you haven't though about fine tuning suspention, you might just start thinking about it. :)

• emcdan

Posted August 07, 2003 - 10:12 AM

I agree 100% Chris. I just put the correct rear spring for my weight on my bike. It is the smartest thing you can do for your suspension. I always thought, the softer the rear spring, the better the ride. Wrong! Keeping that shock functioning in the correct part of the stroke keeps it plush initially and progressivly firm for jumps. Glad you brought it to everyones attention.

• WR250fla

Posted August 07, 2003 - 10:28 AM

O.K. you talked me into it.

• basicblues

Posted August 07, 2003 - 10:47 AM

I've been on the phone this week with Race Tech and there's no doubt I'll be doing a suspension upgrade soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CODY510

Posted August 11, 2003 - 06:07 PM

DC, Did you get your bike in the U.S. if so it most likely came with a 5.2 rear spring and a .460 front springs not that means anything. I also weight about 210 to 215 depending on how many Sam Adams Iv'e had. I think that moving up to a 5.4 will be my next susp. move. I love riding across the desert in sand washes or just open rangeing it. Sometimes you will hit some really nasty stuff in that case stiffer is better.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 11, 2003 - 07:46 PM

I have been running 5.8kg rear for quite a while and recently got back on a buddies stock rear spring and what a difference. The spring costs only $110. and is well worth every penny for heavier riders. The stock spring squats the suspension to much. Easy to change for guys that are not to mechanical. :)

• YamaGeek

Posted August 12, 2003 - 11:19 AM

Replaced front and rear on mine awhile back. I'm 250#. Put 5.8 RaceTech Rear and .49 front. The difference was somewhere near ASTOUNDING.

• basicblues

Posted August 12, 2003 - 02:31 PM

Hey,
Have any of you installed the "gold valves" to go along with the suspension spring upgrades? Why or why not? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.