slimmest choice oversized tank

9 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted March 25, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have an ugly 3.2 clarke and I cant slide up very far in corners etc. Its very bulky between the legs. Is the 2.6 much of a difference or is there a different brand to look at.

actually ive never paid attention to the capacity so it might be the 2.6 already. either way its wide as hell and tall so I guess im left with swapping tanks out track and trail.

Posted Image

compared to

Posted Image

Edited by EOYZF, March 25, 2011 - 03:40 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted March 25, 2011 - 02:14 PM

I dont know what the clarke tank looks like, but I hear that the IMS tank has a lower profile than my acerbis one. I have also heard that how close it is to the header can be an issue.

• humpness

Posted March 25, 2011 - 02:17 PM

really? good to know especially since I have a mega bomb.

• Jim813

Posted March 25, 2011 - 04:34 PM

It actually look like the 2.6, as I used to have the clarke 3.2 and remember it filling in more where the stock location for the petcock was, as well as being taller at the gas cap. The IMS I currently have fits much better than the clarke 3.2. The clarke seemed to rub in several different areas and I seemed to fight putting on the radiator shrouds more than I do on the IMS. I also think the IMS looks better and has a lower profile at the gas cap than the clarke 3.2, but looks comparable to the tank you have. I don't have any issues with the tank being wider than stock.

I've had issues with sliding up in corners, and when I took a clinic with Steve Hatch he pointed this out right away. He suggested a taller seat/seat foam, and this solved the issues.

Here's a picture ( the only one I have) of the bike with the IMS and taller seat foam:
Posted Image

• humpness

Posted March 25, 2011 - 04:57 PM

thanks jim. I am 5'10" or so and I am unsure i want to go all the way to a tall seat. I slide up so nice with the stock tank. I feel like im tip toeing around corners with the clarke not nearly as agressive as I can be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:04 PM

My son had a Clarke 2.6 on his '06, and had no problem moving up on the bike at all. And he's 6'4".

• humpness

Posted March 25, 2011 - 07:58 PM

a shorter rider would have a harder time doing that especially without a tall seat

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'm shorter, and I have no problem with the Clarke, either. It's very little wider than the stocker, actually.

• humpness

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:44 PM

i dont know Ill do some riding with the stock tank for while and see if i do better. the height is more of the problem for me. the bottom line is nothing is going to fit better than the stocker and i need to accept it. miles vs comfort for me.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 26, 2011 - 12:02 AM

Do the clear IMS tanks turn yellow over time with 4t? Or do they only yellow on 2t due to the gas/oil premix?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.