05 YZ450F Jetting Help Needed!!!

3 replies to this topic
  • jasen 2007

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:49 AM

I just picked up an 05 YZ450. It has less than 10 hrs ride time and has never been raced and is bone stock.
This is the second 4 stroke race bike I have owned, the other is an 01 YZ426.
I am having trouble with the carb setup on the 450. If I whack the gas hard from idle of just off idle it falls completely on its face. It likes to stall in corners pretty easy. Im just not sure what direction to start. I have the clip in the middle position, 165 main and 55 pilot. I ride elevations 1000' or less.
Is there something on AP I should be looking at? Are my jets way off?
Also the temp is about 40* right now.
Any help would be great.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Your pilot is certainly way off. It should never be bigger than a 48 under any circumstance, probably no larger than 45. That's why it's stalling going into corners, most likely.

Read these two threads:

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

Then look through this one, being certain to read Post #15 first:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694916

There is no reason to expect a thumper to be able to tolerate having the throttle "whacked" right off idle. It should respond reasonably well, but you do also need to learn to "roll" the throttle quickly rather than snap it open. Accelerator pump timing, one size smaller leak jet, and the "O-ring mod" (or much better, a stiffer AP linkage spring from Merge Racing, will fix this if it's still a problem after you get the jetting right.

You may also want to consider the CDI unit from either an '04 or an '06, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jasen 2007

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info, Im going to check now.

• jasen 2007

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:25 PM

ok, so after changing jets several times i decided to check the squirt duration of the AC, well there was none. After completely assembling the carb and unplugging the AC jet, I'm happy to say it feels very close.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.