Quick question on EFI air filter?

8 replies to this topic
  • powers450f

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:37 AM

You now how you put grease around the rim of a air filter and around where the bolt hole is on a carb bike 4 or 2 stroke. With the EFI bike does this still need to be done with the flat air filter? I realize that this a dumb question but somebody brought it up and am just curios. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:54 AM

You now how you put grease around the rim of a air filter and around where the bolt hole is on a carb bike...?

I'll take your word for it. I use Maxima FFT on mine, so no such measures are necessary. The oil does all necessary sealing just fine.

• powers450f

Posted March 25, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Well see that's the thing people on hear don't go to some of the measures that us northern boys do. I don't know a single person that doesn't grease the ring of there air filter and I have been racing two strokes for ten years. New to four strokes especially the efi bikes and it doesn't make sense to grease the ring the way that the cage clamps down. Anyone else have an opinion.

• sean3239

Posted March 25, 2011 - 11:08 AM

In the past I always used grease in these areas although, I can see how with some of these filter oils which are so sticky, you wouldn't need the grease. On the 10 YZ450, I don't use grease because of the design. I worry more about making sure the cage is pressing down on all parts of the filter and that one corner somehow didn't sneak under the cage edge.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • powers450f

Posted March 25, 2011 - 12:02 PM

In the past I always used grease in these areas although, I can see how with some of these filter oils which are so sticky, you wouldn't need the grease. On the 10 YZ450, I don't use grease because of the design. I worry more about making sure the cage is pressing down on all parts of the filter and that one corner somehow didn't sneak under the cage edge.

Good point

• swaldrop

Posted March 25, 2011 - 01:40 PM

I greased my air filter on my very first bike ('01 cr125) because someone told me to. It occurred to me at the time that it was an unnecessary step given the design of the filter/cage system so I stopped doing it and have never looked back.

I started riding later in life and was never exposed to how it used to be, so I can't speak for older designs. In the 10 years I have been riding, 5 was spent in the Seattle area and the last 5 have been in sandy Florida. I would say I have had just about every conditioned covered and have never once had an issue of dirt slipping past the seal.

Carb, EFI, 2 or 4 stroke... Not sure why any of these would make it more relevant. Not a required step in any situation if you ask me.

• powers450f

Posted March 30, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I am getting mixed opinions at my local shops, i think mainly because the efi bikes are newer. Some people told me to grease the outer edge and some not to because of the design. I am racing this weekend at a very sandy track and just want to make sure she's good and sealed. I use PJ1 oil filter oil which I have for years and hasn't let me down yet.

• steve_97060

Posted March 30, 2011 - 05:32 PM

If the filter is oiled properly, I don't see the need for grease, and I don't use it.

Do whatever makes you comfortable...

• brentn

Posted March 30, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I used to use grease all the time, but then I stopped cause it was getting pretty messy. A year of filter changes later and there was no noticable dirt in the air filter box boot to the carb on my yz250.

For my 2010 I use maxima FFT, the best filter oil ever made, and have never had an issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.