What to look for when buying used yz450f

3 replies to this topic
  • MINGHAG

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I'm going to check out a 2003 yz450 on saturday. I'm told it has about 35 hours on it. The engine works good and the valves are in spec. The owner wants to get rid of it because he is older and intimidated by the power. The graphics are all original and the bike looks clean in the pictures. What should i look for or ask the owner. Any help is appreciated.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Ask about the maintainence scheduele. Check the condition of the bike. If the bike is dirty, his garage is messy, and the sprockets are worn, chances are he didnt take very good care of it. Ask to ride it, or at the very least make sure it runs and starts easily. Compress the rear suspension and listen for any squeeks(neglected bearings).

Put it on a stand to check that the wheels spin freely and the steering stem bearings are still good. Check for leaking fork seals.

As always, its good to bring a friend along. You have $2000+ in your pocket and your meeting a guy you dont know. Theres always a chance it could turn out bad. Even when i sell stuff i have my dad around just in case. You never know with people these days..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Padgett

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Go by your first impression of the bike. You can tell if a bike has new plastic and stickers slapped on it, but look at how much corrosion and mud stains are on the cases. If it passes the visual test for you, then BS with the guy for awhile and get some more history on the bike. Then if you still on the fence if you want it, fire it up and ride it around. Remember most guys don't like strangers hot rod-en around on their bike, so be respectful.

I would look for;
Leaking fork seals
Chain and sprockets
Would really consider replacing the top end and figure that into your offer.
Tires
Plastic if its not clean
Any after market parts? They add up fast on a four stroker.

There is more, but thats the main items I pick at.

• YamaLink

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Start it cold. If the owner warmed the Yamaha up before you showed up, like many do, start it hot and let it cool down while you check other things. Then start it "cold."

Footpegs are a good indication of use: floppy means it was ridden harder than a (insert own joke here).

Take seat off and look at air filter.

Grab rear wheel. Lots of play up/down or side to side?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.