2011 Yz450f?

10 replies to this topic
  • powers450f

Posted March 24, 2011 - 02:18 PM

To the people that own the 2010 or 2011 yz450f's. After break in do you check the valve clearances? Just wondering because I bought a 2011 new and was wondering if anyone had to shim them after the break in? I haven't had the chance to break mine in yet because it's 30 degrees outside, but I figured after the break in I would change the oil and filter but it says in the manual to check the valve clearances, kind of thinking that if it is brand new that it isn't necessary.. I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks

• woods-rider

Posted March 24, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Its not hard to check and proper clearances are pretty important. If I were you I would take the 30 min to protect your multi-thousand dollar investment.

• powers450f

Posted March 24, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Yeah I know it's not hard, but just wondering how common it is that they actually need to be shimmed? I know from the factory they are set as close to the bottom of the spec for noise and performance reasons.

• heezay

Posted March 24, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Haven't checked mine, im sure someone on here will say im an idiot for not checking them, but oh well, not really worried about it at all.

• Steel Panther

Posted March 24, 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ive never heard of yamaha valves needing to be adjusted after the break in, I would not be happy if my brand new bike needed a shimming.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2011 - 03:12 PM

Ive never heard of yamaha valves needing to be adjusted after the break in, I would not be happy if my brand new bike needed a shimming.

It's not really uncommon to hear about them needing to be tweaked a little following break in. There seemed to have been quite a few '07 models that ended up with an intake or two at .09mm on the first check up and were fine ever after that.

• powers450f

Posted March 24, 2011 - 03:31 PM

Ok think I'll check them just to be on the safe side.

• mediumfast

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:06 PM

It's also good to have a reference point for future valve checks.

• brentn

Posted April 09, 2011 - 12:42 PM

Check them right after break in, like others have said it offers a good reference point for future checks.

Valve checks on the 2010/11 are really really easy to do, and take only about 15 minutes. Lifting and supporting the tank you can then remove the small black plastic head cover (push two pins in and lift out). Remove the plug boot and then remove the valve cover and that's it.

I checked my valves after 22 hours and there appeared to be no movement at all.

• powers450f

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Checked them after break in an they were perfect.

• lil-717

Posted April 10, 2011 - 02:49 AM

40 hours hard riding and racing and no movement

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.