engine noise (not cb gear)

3 replies to this topic
  • yzf

Posted April 20, 2001 - 03:31 PM

my 99 yz400 started making a rattling noise coming for the clutch cover i thought cb gear and removed the side cover (the big one)and found zero play in the cb gear no matter witch way i pulled but i did find what to me seemed to be a lot of play in the clutch basket about 1/8" in and out also if you push on one side of the outer basket and pull on the outher side (from the fingers) this also has play slightly less than if you were to pull straight in and out. the inner hub also moves in and out 1/8" but not side to side the basket seemed tight to the gear behind it the bothed moved together is this normal???? the sound really sounds like it is right behind the clutch cover

• Scott_F

Posted April 23, 2001 - 04:21 AM

Did you pull the pressure plate and check the hub nut?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf

Posted April 23, 2001 - 11:24 AM

yes i did pull the pressure plate the nut was tight with the lock washer inplace

• yzf

Posted April 23, 2001 - 11:26 AM

it seems like the whole shaft moves in and out but just the basket moves side to side maby this play is normal and i am just paranoid

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.