2 rim locks on the rear rim necessary?

20 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted August 07, 2003 - 04:11 AM

OK, so I was changing my rear tire and tube and during reassembly decided to only put one of the rim/tire lock's back into place. This was suggested by a friend. His DRZ only has 1. My question is, is it necessary to have 2, and will this throw off the balance of the rear wheel in any way?

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted August 07, 2003 - 04:51 AM

If you had two and are going to only have one, you will feel the wheel out of balance at high speeds unless you add some weight to counter the weight of the single rim lock.

Installing one is pretty easy as opposed to two. I've never spun a tire using a single, properly installed, rimlock.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 07, 2003 - 08:14 AM

How has the weight been compensated on the DRZ's. And how would you recommend compensating the weight on my WR? Also, if I'm trail riding 99.9% of the time, will I ever notice the un-balanced tire?

Thanks in advance for any feed back...

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted August 07, 2003 - 02:28 PM

You probably won't notice it trail riding.

I have two sets of rims. One dirt only (S12's) and one for dual-sport. I rim lock both rears but only balance the one I use for dual-sport. A rough balance job is real easy. I just use a couple of jack stands and the axle to find the heavy side and then add weight to the opposite side until it evens out.

Unless you notice it feelling out of balance, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

• crushedreams

Posted August 07, 2003 - 04:58 PM

I took mine out at my first tire change. I cant feel any balance issues. I ride alot of trails and then I ride alot around the farm. Do it makes life easier when it comes to tire changing.

• Beta_Man

Posted August 07, 2003 - 05:38 PM

two rim lock will get you back to the truck with a flat tire alot better then only with one.

• Gadsen

Posted August 07, 2003 - 05:43 PM

OK, so I was changing my rear tire and tube and during reassembly decided to only put one of the rim/tire lock's back into place. This was suggested by a friend. His DRZ only has 1. My question is, is it necessary to have 2, and will this throw off the balance of the rear wheel in any way?

Ah, your buddie was tired of you having all the bragging rights, you have less weight, more compression, more valves, travel and even more rim locks, but now you and him are even on that one. If the factroy put one in, I'm not one to rethink the reasons, I'd reinstall it next time you change the tire.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 08, 2003 - 02:37 AM

The Rim Locks have absolutely Nothing to do with Balance or Weight. The reason for the Two Locks is that the 18 inch rim generates much more torque and is much more suseptable to spining the tire on the rim. You really don't have to worry about that if you are a "Sunday Driver" style rider. I spun a tire on my YZ out in the woods a couple of months ago (It comes with only 1 rim lock and a rubber insert in the rim where another can be added). It destroyed my tube, I immediately spent 15 bucks and added another. Its a pain changing a tire with two locks, but because of the Horse power these engine's generate, well worth it.... Man I hated walking 10 miles in my Boots.

Bonzai :)

• endurodog

Posted August 08, 2003 - 03:20 AM

Yamakaze hit this one dead on the head! You must got blisters from that walk.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 08, 2003 - 04:25 AM

The Rim Locks have absolutely Nothing to do with Balance or Weight. The reason for the Two Locks is that the 18 inch rim generates much more torque and is much more suseptable to spining the tire on the rim. You really don't have to worry about that if you are a "Sunday Driver" style rider. I spun a tire on my YZ out in the woods a couple of months ago (It comes with only 1 rim lock and a rubber insert in the rim where another can be added). It destroyed my tube, I immediately spent 15 bucks and added another. Its a pain changing a tire with two locks, but because of the Horse power these engine's generate, well worth it.... Man I hated walking 10 miles in my Boots.

Well, I've never considered myself as having a "Sunday Driver" style. I'm curious, how much air pressure were you running in your YZ when you spun the tire on the rim? I normally run around 15 lbs. I know when you run on the low side (lets say 9-12 lbs), you have a better chance of that happening.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted August 08, 2003 - 01:31 PM

14 lbs or so, and it was very rocky.

• yamaha250f

Posted August 10, 2003 - 07:10 PM

Dont you know that 250Fs only have 1 rim lock. Id say lose some power and get a smaller rim and you will do just fine with 1 rim lock.

• Junior_Vet

Posted August 12, 2003 - 07:39 PM

YZ250F's may only come with 1 rim lock, however WR250F's come with 2 rim locks on the 18" wheel.

• John_H

Posted August 12, 2003 - 08:56 PM

two rim lock will get you back to the truck with a flat tire alot better then only with one.

I think it's worth the bit of extra hassle during a tire change. As far as tire pressure...never really need to drop my WR's pressure down too low to get traction since the power will always keep the tire biting in my riding situations. :)

• Chas_M

Posted August 13, 2003 - 06:41 PM

"The Rim Locks have absolutely Nothing to do with Balance or Weight." For slow speeds, perhaps not. With a single rim lock, the wheel will be approximately 4 oz out of balance. This imbalance is enough to create havoc at high speeds, i.e. instability, rough riding, weaving, handlebar oscillation, etc.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 14, 2003 - 04:52 AM

"The Rim Locks have absolutely Nothing to do with Balance or Weight." For slow speeds, perhaps not. With a single rim lock, the wheel will be approximately 4 oz out of balance. This imbalance is enough to create havoc at high speeds, i.e. instability, rough riding, weaving, handlebar oscillation, etc.

Well, I guess the obvious question then is, how do you balance a rear wheel with only 1 rim lock. I've looked at my buddies DRZ, and I can't see where they've added "4 oz" of counter weight anywhere. How have they compensatied on the YZF's. I've never seen a counter weight there. I'm not saying your wrong, but, how are the other machines being compensated for the lack of a 2nd rim lock?

• ogrebelle

Posted August 14, 2003 - 08:16 AM

They used to make (I would assume still do) conical lead weights that you pinched around a spoke (at the ring end) in order to balance the tire. They are kinda like split-shot sinkers used for fishing. They never come off on the trail either. Good stuff. :)
Doug

• lewichris

Posted August 14, 2003 - 10:35 AM

hey maybe you could get some lead tape and wrap 4 oZ of it around your tube or spoke or hey areound the whole tire setup. I was wondering if there is anyone who can tell me where the counter balance weight is on the YZ? Didnt think so. LOL :)

• RichBaker

Posted August 14, 2003 - 07:13 PM

Tape-A-Weight....A good friend and FAST desert racer(BID Sr.champ a couple times) Carlos Serranno used to balance his wheels for every race with it. Get it at any good auto parts store.

• ralphfurley

Posted August 15, 2003 - 04:27 AM

my xr600 has one rim lock
Tapped out on pavement it shows
no signs of instability.
same with my cr500

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.