Another Cam Question

7 replies to this topic
  • seabass152

Posted March 23, 2011 - 10:16 PM

I have read in few different post about using a YZ intake cam, WR exhaust cam and a high comp piston with good results and maintaining the use of the e start. My question is has anyone used just the YZ intake cam with the stock piston and stock exhaust cam? If so, how was it?

• seabass152

Posted March 25, 2011 - 10:11 PM

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 26, 2011 - 12:06 AM

I always heard that keeping e-start working well was a hit/miss deal with YZ cams.
I went Hotcams and big bore, so can't comment on what your asking really.
e-start is perfect with hotcams though.

• MaxPower

Posted March 28, 2011 - 05:06 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]im pretty sure the intakes are the same between the YZ WR and quad
The difference is in the exhaust
I have had no start issues with the OEM YZ cam on my 450[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • seabass152

Posted March 28, 2011 - 09:23 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]im pretty sure the intakes are the same between the YZ WR and quad
The difference is in the exhaust
I have had no start issues with the OEM YZ cam on my 450[/COLOR]

Are you saying you are running both YZ cams or just the exhaust?

• JimL

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:02 AM

I'm running a yz intake cam with a stock piston and stock exhaust cam. the wr's used to run the same intake cam as the yz's before 07. but now both cams are different. I didn't want to loose my e start. I noticed a loss of bottom but she pulled better through the middle and didn't go flat on top as much. I have an 08 so initially I used an 08 intake. I swapped that for an 06 intake cam because it has better bottom and mid than the 08, and this helped off the bottom. But the 06 had a little hit to them. Not the smooth delivery of the 07 and 08's. I still may go with a hotcam exhaust in the future but I'll have to talk to hotcams first. I still ride some wet single track occasionally and don't want something too agressive or want to loose any more bottom. She runs really good right now and e starts. But I'm probably loosing some thing because of lift and duration of the different cams. If anyone else has any info to add please chime in

• CanadianWR450

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:46 AM

I had the EXACT dilemma you had when I went to a FMF and hotcams.
Loved what the setup did in the open, hated what the setup did in the nasty wet tight stuff. Added a big bore, megabomb (not powerbomb), and went down 3 teeth on the back sprocket (from 51 to 48), and now I LOVE it, best of both worlds.
Search around on my old threads and you'll find a bunch of info on what I went through and the end results.

• ridin426blue

Posted May 09, 2011 - 05:05 PM

I just bought a 2002 Wr426 with the Yz exhaust cam. My friend has the exact same bike as i do and i start my bike no problem it is a very easy kick while he has some trouble

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.