2002 WR426 breaks up at WOT

2 replies to this topic
  • cz9mm

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Just picked up a 02 WR426 did an oil change and replaced gas. Bike idles fine and no problems starting. Good throttle response but when I go to WOT the bike breaks up, similar to what happens with a two stroke when the main jet is too small. The bike is missing the airbox lid and muffler baffle and had the stock main jet so I thought it may be lean and tried a few different sizes but don't think that is it since there is no change. One thing I did notice is that the idle adjustment screw will only change the idle when the cold choke is used. When the chokes are not used and the engine is hot the adjustment screw does nothing. Not sure if the two are related and any suggestions what to check?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • _Hitman47

Posted March 24, 2011 - 04:03 AM

If it's throttle position dependent, it's certainly carb-related, if it's rpm dependant, electricity might be in question. Try to rev it in neutral and look for missfires on top range of revs. I've got 01 426, with no airbox lid and whole rear part of muffler, went to 170 main, happy as a fck. Good luck.

• cz9mm

Posted March 27, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Looked at the carb and it was missing the slide stop screw. After getting another screw and putting it in the problem is not as bad and think I may be hitting the rev limiter. I have had 2 strokes before and when they ran right the motor would sing at WOT. I guess I am just not familiar with how the 4 stroke should sound. I hope the weather gets dry so my kids can get out and ride!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.