Misfires at high revs

5 replies to this topic
  • marcw

Posted August 06, 2003 - 05:46 PM

Today i started my XR65O to check before a Pismo run tomorrow. When I rev the throttle fully open the bike seems to splutter and misfire (the bike is stationary). At lower revs it runs perfectly and starts OK. When I rode it a month ago it ran fine. There is a tiny amount of smoke when it misfires.. Spark plug is fine not fuel problems and air filter is OK. Should I just ride the bike?? and is this normal?? My friends 600 exhibits a similar symptom. My bike is only 6months old and ridden 4 times

Does anyone have any ideas… This is the first time I’ve revved it this high and not been moving!!

A quick response would be greatly appreciated.

• smashinz2002

Posted August 06, 2003 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, my only question to you would be Why?? Why would you rev the engine fully open under no load?? My guess is that by revving it so hi, the valves are floating. Sorry man, but the engine was never designed to be run wide open in neutral under no load. You can be sure it's bad for it!!
If this post is a joke, then that's some funny stuff hahaahah! But honestly, I have never known anyone to rev the engine like that for no apparent reason. Or for any reason for that matter. It's not necessary for any purpose.

• marcw

Posted August 06, 2003 - 06:21 PM

Like I said I’ve never done this before and god knows why I did it this time NOW I WON’T ... your explanation of no load makes sense...I'll see how it runs at Pismo Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrianVT

Posted August 07, 2003 - 01:26 AM

Mine exhibits those symptoms, while riding (never done the neutral thing). It's just at wide open. Local shop mechanic says he thinks there's a rev limiter. I haven't messed with it 'cuz I rarely tach that high in the tight woods I ride.

• Dutch

Posted August 07, 2003 - 02:03 AM

You cannot overrev the motor, there is a rev limiter that prevents that from happening. Put it in third gear the next time you go riding and hold it open, you'll find it.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted August 07, 2003 - 02:17 AM

I have noticed the same "missing" effect on mine when it is pegged open in a high gear but it is very infrequent. Anybody have any experiences with the after market rev limiter? The limiter will allow the bike to go from 8200 RPM to 9500. Will the higher RPMs hurt the bike? :)

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.