checking valve clearances

5 replies to this topic
  • tommyr21

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:44 PM

im going to have a go at checking valve clearances on my 09 wr450 this weekend... ive read through all the steps in the manual and it all seems pretty straight forward.. just wondering if anyone has any little tips or tricks they would like to share with a first timer???

cheers

• tribalbc

Posted March 23, 2011 - 06:20 AM

Make sure you remove your hot start cable, makes removing the valve cover much easier. This will be the crux, removing the valve cover, it's a tight fit. Tilt it to the front right corner for removal. It will fit with finesse, so don't force.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:07 PM

I make a drawing of the valves in there proper location inside the Yamaha manual, right down to three intakes and two exhausts. Then, whenever I pull those shim bucket's, I write down the shim size in the proper location in the manual. This way, I always know what shim I have where, without having to pull those cams. If one of the valve starts tightening up on it's clearances, I can just check inside the manual and see what shim I have on that valve. Then I check my extra's to see if I've got the right one to replace it. If I don't, then I'll have to order one, but the beauty is, I don't have the engine half torn apart while waiting on parts to be ordered. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tommyr21

Posted March 24, 2011 - 10:39 PM

cheers guys. not sure when im going to get around to doing this.. hopefully in the next week or two.
Ill let you know how i go once im done.

thanks again

tom

• bg10459

Posted March 25, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Clean the bike real good, remove the tank and then clean it again before you remove the valve cover.

• woods-rider

Posted March 25, 2011 - 07:55 AM

Once you get the valve cover off stuff some paper towels or something in the openings into the engine so that if you drop something it doesn't go way down in there. Also, when lifting off the cam caps (if you end up doing an adjustment) be really really careful to not drop the little race things that are under them into the engine. If the valves are in spec it's like a 30 min job.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.