YZ400F Lots of backfire problem

3 replies to this topic
  • MrYz400F

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi, I have a 98 YZ400F And it's been sitting in my garage for about 6 months and when I got it running it runs good but just has a lot of backfire and I'm not to sure why. It's not just backfire it's loud pops. Please help. Thanks

• ktmracer53

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Try adjusting the pilot screw. Put the screw all the way in and go out 2 turns, then just adjust it from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:47 PM

If it sat quite a while, it's likely that the pilot jet itelf has a film of varnish deposited in the orifice that is effectively making it smaller in size than it's supposed to be.

• spdnjoe

Posted March 23, 2011 - 09:19 AM

If it sat quite a while, it's likely that the pilot jet itelf has a film of varnish deposited in the orifice that is effectively making it smaller in size than it's supposed to be.

My 426 was doing the exact thing. I cleaned out the jets and it runs perfect. Even starts by the second kick with no choke !
Grayracer gave me the same advice a couple of months ago.
Thank you Gray !

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.