Tire question..(not a "whats the best tire" question)

11 replies to this topic
  • travertt

Posted March 22, 2011 - 12:53 PM

OK...

Hope this isn't too redundant a question (I did do a search before posting).

Here goes....I cannot get a Maxxis IT (rear tire) for my 04 WR450 up here (Toronto). Everyone seems to be out of stock with nothing due until April/May...cannot wait that long...season too short.

So I have the option of putting on a Maxxis Desert IT (can still be found) or a Dunlop 952.

Two questions...whats the real difference between the IT and the Desert IT. Is it just a heavier carcass on the Desert IT with the same tread pattern and very durable rubber compound..or is the rubber different as well. My main concern is longevity/durability for which the IT is well known. If I run the Desert IT would I get the about the same performance/traction if I just ran with a little less air pressure...say 10-11 PSI instead of 13-14 PSI.

OR...would the Dunlop 952 be a better bet?

The terrain is very mixed...pavement to get to the trails, lots of east coast style rock/dirt/roots and plenty of mud bogs with some cottage/logging roads thrown in.. Very little in the way of deep loose dirt or sand.

Thanks for your help...decision time is near and I've been waiting for months for an IT to no avail. Most stores in the US either will not ship tires to Canada or want so much for shipping that its ridiculous.

Need to ride...must ride...feeling faint.....loosing control.... :thumbsup:

• dustdogg

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:04 PM

I would just go with the 952. I pulled off a Maxxis IT and replaced it with a 952 and I don't think I will go back to the Maxxis. It lasted forever but did start chunking pretty bad. It was a pain to mount and dismount and traction was OK but nothing special. I think that the 952 works as well or better for my type of riding (desert) with a slight trade off in wear, plus it was much easier to mount. I now have over 1000 miles on the 952 and while it shows some were the knobs have all stayed intact. I don't have any experience with the desert version although I would imagine it would have a stiffer carcass which would make it even worse to mount than the standard IT. If I were you I would forget about the Maxxis and grab the 952 or similiar tire that is readily available and ride. After using the Maxxis myself, I would have no reason to wait for one when there are plenty of other options.

• kawi380

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:47 AM

I guess I feel just the opposite of dustdogg. I would not buy a 952 ever. The desert IT and the IT have, as far as I can tell, the same tread pattern with as the OP said a stiffer or more durable material in desert version. Maxxis tires are a tad more difficult to install but just leave it out in the sun longer before sticking it on the rim. I have run 8-10 psi in a desert IT with good results on mountain single track trails. I never run that low pressure while riding in the open desert. I have had not problem with maxxis rear tires chunking, but stay away from the fronts...they are junk.

I just purchased a set of bridgestones for the WR and have yet to put them on as my dunlop 756 is not completely worn.

• tribalbc

Posted March 23, 2011 - 06:16 AM

Why don't you try Gnarly Parts from here in BC

http://gnarlyparts.c..._2051_2071_2073

I'm sure he has them in stock and free shipping in Canada on orders over $150 :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted March 23, 2011 - 08:44 AM

I have used both the IT and the IT Desert mounting the desert is more difficult. as far as on the bike performance the desert last longer however both these tires wear like iron and I get sick of a half used tire long before they are fully worn. Neither of these tires are very good in the traction department they are not super performance but they are great for someone who dosen't mind a little less performance and wants to get a lot of miles for little money. I used to swear by these tire when I could buy them cheap but not they are very expensive in my area and no longer worth it for me.

I would recommend the Maxxis SI tire which offers better traction and still wears well. Much better tire in my opinion but even more expensive than the IT.

My advice to you is Never Never Never put a Maxxis It tire on the front unless you like throwing yourself on the ground. Maxis Si works much better on the front but there are still better performance tires available.

I have not used the 952 but have heard good things about it I currently have the MX 51 and it seems to get better traction than the It (a lot better) but does not wear as well It still seems to hold up pretty well.

Just so you know I am a sucker for buying tires on sale so I don't make that big of a deal about what brand it is

• dustdogg

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I have used both the IT and the IT Desert mounting the desert is more difficult. as far as on the bike performance the desert last longer however both these tires wear like iron and I get sick of a half used tire long before they are fully worn. Neither of these tires are very good in the traction department they are not super performance but they are great for someone who dosen't mind a little less performance and wants to get a lot of miles for little money. I used to swear by these tire when I could buy them cheap but not they are very expensive in my area and no longer worth it for me.

I would recommend the Maxxis SI tire which offers better traction and still wears well. Much better tire in my opinion but even more expensive than the IT.

My advice to you is Never Never Never put a Maxxis It tire on the front unless you like throwing yourself on the ground. Maxis Si works much better on the front but there are still better performance tires available.

I have not used the 952 but have heard good things about it I currently have the MX 51 and it seems to get better traction than the It (a lot better) but does not wear as well It still seems to hold up pretty well.

Just so you know I am a sucker for buying tires on sale so I don't make that big of a deal about what brand it is

I agree with you 100% Back when I bought my Maxxis they were quite a bit cheaper than the other brands so it was almost a no brainer for the casual rider but it seemed like I rode forever on a half worn tire that just wouldn't die!! With the amount of tread left I couldn't justify replacing it but the traction sucked. Oh and about the IT front. Don't do it!!!!! I made the mistake of running one and had lots of pucker moments:foul: Right now I have the Dunlop MX51 front and it has been treating me well.
You will hear many different oppinions on tires. I would never recommend the IT front but for the rear, the IT's best trait seems to be the long wear. I just don't think that it would be worth waiting for especially now that the prices are up there with the rest. I would read some more reviews and choose what you think would work best for YOUR type of riding. Good luck:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travertt

Posted March 25, 2011 - 02:44 PM

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your input/insight...I am now satisfied that I have all the info I can get on the subject and will make a decision. Very interesting point about riding around forever on a half worn IT..I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks tribalbc...I had forgotten about Gnarly Parts (I have bought from them before) and indeed they have the tire in stock but the price is not great and with the added shipping I probably will take a pass.

So a 952 or a Desert IT at lower pressure..I'll make the call this weekend.

Have a good season and thanks again.

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:23 AM

You might want to consider a Michelin M12 XC if you think it fits your needs....
I have run both the Maxxis Desert IT, and the M12
For me, I found the M12 out performed the Desert IT, but did not last as long, although I would say it lasted better then most.

The one draw back I found for the M12 was a lack of lateral/sideways bite in slick conditions due to it's very open tread design.

• seabass152

Posted March 26, 2011 - 02:11 PM

I would just go with the 952. I pulled off a Maxxis IT and replaced it with a 952 and I don't think I will go back to the Maxxis. It lasted forever but did start chunking pretty bad. It was a pain to mount and dismount and traction was OK but nothing special. I think that the 952 works as well or better for my type of riding (desert) with a slight trade off in wear, plus it was much easier to mount. I now have over 1000 miles on the 952 and while it shows some were the knobs have all stayed intact. I don't have any experience with the desert version although I would imagine it would have a stiffer carcass which would make it even worse to mount than the standard IT. If I were you I would forget about the Maxxis and grab the 952 or similiar tire that is readily available and ride. After using the Maxxis myself, I would have no reason to wait for one when there are plenty of other options.

I don't think I have ever had a tire with more than 400 or so off-road miles on it that I would want on my bike at the start of a trip. You must run them down to the cords.

• dustdogg

Posted March 26, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I don't think I have ever had a tire with more than 400 or so off-road miles on it that I would want on my bike at the start of a trip. You must run them down to the cords.

400 miles??? Wow, you must really like changing tires or have too much money. When I go out to the desert for a long weekend, I can easily put 250or more miles . At that rate I would be changing tires quite often, and that just aint gonna happen. Thats why I choose certian tires, because they can handle the tough conditions. I don't race so if I don't really care if I have brand new tire every time i go out to ride.

Here is the Dunlop 952 currently on my bike. While it IS worn, it is not down to the cords as you mentioned before. No chunking either, unlike the Maxxis IT that was on there before. I will probably run a few more times on this tire and swap it out with another 952 or 739AT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• travertt

Posted March 27, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Hey Dustdogg..

Like you I don't race and like you, on a good weekend 200 miles can easily be done. The 952 in your pictures...how many miles on it (roughly)..was any of it pavement??

I would be quite happy to have that tire on my bike. Depending on the mileage, the 952 is looking better and better!

Thanks

• dustdogg

Posted March 27, 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hey Dustdogg..

Like you I don't race and like you, on a good weekend 200 miles can easily be done. The 952 in your pictures...how many miles on it (roughly)..was any of it pavement??

I would be quite happy to have that tire on my bike. Depending on the mileage, the 952 is looking better and better!

Thanks

This is the tire that I have over 1000 miles on. Probably closer to 1200. Most of it was desert- sand, rocks and hardpack. It also spent some time on pavement which I would estimate at 50-75 miles. Not bad if you ask me:thumbsup:
Once again everyone has there own oppinion so take it for what its worth. The Maxxis IT that was mounted before, seemed to wear to a certian point and then had poor traction and started chunking. Not sure on overall miles but there was well over 1000.
The Dunlop 952 that you saw in the pictures seemed to wear faster but still handles high mileage without chunking.

I am not trying to sat that the 952 is the ONLY tire to get, its just that if I had to choose between it an the Maxxis IT I would choose the 952. BTW I have been running the 120/90/18 size which limits tire options somewhat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.