Help removing triple clamp bering cases

You need a long good quality drift pin. Kind of like a punch with a flat end. I did this a few weeks ago on my bike. I was able to get a good punch and pin set at home depot for $25.00. Remove the races by pounding them out with the pin. There should be just enough of a lip on the race to get the pin on. Obvioslly you have to pound the bottom race out from the top and and top from buttom. It is kind of difficult, so take your time, and try not to bash your fingers. Work in a circle pattern around the race.

Pound the new races in with the old ones. DO NOT hit the new races with a hammer. Use hi temp grease on the new bearings, and lots of it. The steering head gets very hot as the oil is in the frame just below it. It is a good idea to grease them a couple of times a year. A local pro said he does his every other race weekend. Seems excessive to me.

Good luck

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Originally posted by Jbo:

Can someone provide help on how to remove the triple clamp bearing races from the frame of my 99 WR400 ?.

Your reply will be greatly apreciated.

Jbo.

What you need is a bearing driver. A piece of roundstock, 1/2" to 1" about 1' long would do the trick nicely. The race sticks out just beyond the tube which it sits in, and this is where you will need to tap the race to remove it. The key will be going from sise to side, to drive it out in a straight direction. No heating will be needed as it is a zero interferance fit. The race will be snug, but take your time and keep going side to side, they will come out. You could use a piece of pipe or anything you can get to rest on the race ledge down in the steering head tube. Snap-on sells a bearing driver punch, but you can do it without spending the money.