09' yz450f yoshi

7 replies to this topic
  • fordrocks150

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:49 AM

What do you guys think about this pipe on this bike? Its a c96 yoshi slip on. And its going on my 09 yz450f. will it sound any different (better) and will there be any power gains? and what about the jetting.

• Steel Panther

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:05 AM

you will see power gains with almost any after market exhaust on a 08-09 yz450. But if you want to get the most bang for your buck you need to get a full system. The stock silencer is very restrictive, so they made the header large to compensate for it. Thus the stock header is not ideal with a slip on. The bike may sound louder, but not really different it is a 450f and imo they all sound pretty much the same, "better" is all opinion. As far as jetting goes, it all depends on temp, altitude etc. I as well as many others had success switching to a 165 main, 4th position on the needle and some messing around with the fuel screw. Try checking out the jetting data base if you want more info.

This and the glowing header question have been beat to death on here, I vote for a sticky on 08-09 exhausts if there isn't one already.

• crf450319

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:36 PM

you will see power gains with almost any after market exhaust on a 08-09 yz450. But if you want to get the most bang for your buck you need to get a full system. The stock silencer is very restrictive, so they made the header large to compensate for it. Thus the stock header is not ideal with a slip on.

Hey S,

X2 on what Steel Panther said, I put a FMF megabomb header with a Pro Circuit can/muffler on my '09. I raised my needle by 1 position and I put a bigger main jet in as well. Yoshimura makes good stuff, they're one of my favorites & I think the sound from something like that would be a definite improvement.

Did you end up putting new valve seals in your bike ? I remember you talking about that.

• J2MMY

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:07 PM

I don't even see the point of putting a pipe or jets on your bike. I have a 2009 yz450f and the power is pretty insane. I can't imagine it with more power... probably wheelie the bike a lot easier? I wouldn't want that lol. If you're getting it for sound... eh I don't know if that's worth it ha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dvn

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:18 AM

I don't even see the point of putting a pipe or jets on your bike. I have a 2009 yz450f and the power is pretty insane. I can't imagine it with more power... probably wheelie the bike a lot easier? I wouldn't want that lol. If you're getting it for sound... eh I don't know if that's worth it ha

The power with the stock pipe is very mellow. Probably good if you're a trail rider but it needs a pipe for racing MX.

• crf450319

Posted March 23, 2011 - 09:16 AM

I don't even see the point of putting a pipe or jets on your bike. I have a 2009 yz450f and the power is pretty insane. I can't imagine it with more power...

I run B or Intermediate and I HATE the stock pipe, in fact I bought 2 new complete systems just so I've got one as a back-up. I can guarantee you that I will never ride my '09 with the stock pipe again, ever. I had a full Pro Circuit system on it from new, then bent the PC header so I put the stock system on for a week, during that week I ran a race and a couple days of practice.

I was used to the power/delivery with the PC system on, knew when to get on/off the throttle to hit one jump in particular - A 105' - 110' uphill. I ended up thinking I was at the right speed, throttle position and found out I wasn't. Came up short a couple times, then over compensated for the "mellow" (crap IMO) power. Ended up over jumping that uphill, had my left hand come off the bar and my chest hit my bar pad resulting in a month of missed riding due to an injured wrist - I still have trouble bench pressing almost anything when working out, the angle you've got to have your wrist at dosn't work anymore.

There's a reason why I had read that one of the first mods to do was to put on an aftermarket pipe, you don't see many '08-'09 yz450f's with the stock systems still on & there's a reason for that - they suck !!

Here's a pic of the jump I was talking about :
Posted Image

• stroker101

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:56 PM

a LEXX end cap on the stk muffler will wake up that 08-09 YZ450F. and if u dare to venture further into that stk muffler, remove the inner cone then reassemble.

i feel for the small amount of time invested in this mod and the LEXX end cap is better than any aftermarket exhuast out there

• AquaNut

Posted March 23, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Put a full Yoshi exhaust on my 08 and could not imagine going back to stock! Major "snap" of the throttle and it really opens up the bike! Google it and you will find great deals from small vendors; I think I paid around $400 for me complete stainless Yoshi. The one thing I would do after getting the pipe is take off the stickers before the heat gets to them. You will end up doing that anyway after a few months.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.