Washington

orv sticker placement

34 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted March 21, 2011 - 11:40 PM

dumb question. but i have never owned a dirt bike in the state of washington. so the dmv gave me my orv stickers when i registered, but did not explain anything. they gave me two stickers that look like mini license plates, and the small month and year stickers like you would normally put on the back license plate of your car. where do they go? i dont want to have to put them on top of my fenders and cover up my good looking stickers. and also, i am prone to "breaking" fenders if you know what i mean. where do these babies go? do i have to have them out for the world to see? why couldn't it be one simple sticker like the state of oregon that you can put up on your forks? :thumbsup:

and when you are riding...do you have to carry the registration paper with you?

sorry for the newb...ness

• WMike03

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:20 AM

I put mine inside my radiator shroud on the frame next to the VIN. I also had them on the top of my fork tube, just under the top triple clamp (dont put them at the bottom triple clamp or you will tear it apart when you slide out your forks). I am not sure if there is a hard and fast rule about where to put them but I have been riding Wa trails with DNR checks and as long as they can see the ORV sticker and the serialized month/date tab you will be ok. No need to take the registration with you, never been asked for it in my 20 years of riding here.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Lots of folks put them on the frame near the vin.

• MyFirstThumper

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:34 AM

dumb question. but i have never owned a dirt bike in the state of washington. so the dmv gave me my orv stickers when i registered, but did not explain anything. they gave me two stickers that look like mini license plates, and the small month and year stickers like you would normally put on the back license plate of your car. where do they go? i dont want to have to put them on top of my fenders and cover up my good looking stickers. and also, i am prone to "breaking" fenders if you know what i mean. where do these babies go? do i have to have them out for the world to see? why couldn't it be one simple sticker like the state of oregon that you can put up on your forks? :thumbsup:

and when you are riding...do you have to carry the registration paper with you?

sorry for the newb...ness

I put mine on the frame near the VIN. Of course they expired three years ago.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Stick em' up Gregoire's ass....

• Zondebok

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:17 AM

I have mine on a piece of PVC with part of it cut out so it snaps around my fork tube.

• eectech

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Put it on the skid plate and insist they check it every time ! :thumbsup:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Exactly!!!

I always put them in the hardest spot to see, Like behind a # plate or headlight housing. but then I am kind of an ******* too.

If you do like the directions say they will be gone with the first power wash

• schrode

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:16 AM

that's exactly what i was going to say after reading the op.:thumbsup:

piss on her and her cronies thievery.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:47 AM

so do you have to have both of them on there i.e both sides of the frame by the vin...or both fork tubes? i am sure they are meant to have one front and back? do you guys just put one on and the month and year stickers, or do you put both the orv stickers on your bike?

• RyanMX

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I usually just have one ORV sticker on mine and the month/year stickers below or above to ORV sticker.

• JamesB

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have always just put on the year and month on the steering stem for years and never been hassled, till this year at rimrock where they had about 500 sheriffs on hand. They wanted the big ones on each side plate. When i told them we replace plastic and numbers during the year they said no excuse, to get new ones each time. Let us race though. guess we will bring them and some tape if we go to rimrock next year.

• rozy157

Posted March 22, 2011 - 01:38 PM

I just put one of the license plate stickers on each fork tube under the top triple clamp and put the month/year stickers just underneath one of those on one side. I never carry my registration. Like someone else said, as long as the law can see the stickers somewhere they leave you alone. Make sure you have a spark arrestor if you are going anywhere near trees, because they check those too. One particularly "thorough" sheriff deputy in Naches stopped our whole group for 45 minutes while he went through everything. He also gave the guys with plated KTM's total hell. That was before they called back all the plates of course.

• highmarker

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Both you guys should write a letter to those fs ranger district's who waste our money on those wanna be barney fife rambo orv rent a cops. They make it pretty easy to support a broke orv program vs. one flush with cash.

• Chuck.

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:55 PM

I think DOL says one on the front and one on the back, renewal sticker on the rear.
Or one on each side.
I could be wrong but I think the DOL regs allow you to put the numbers on the bike without using the sticker, the renewal sticky is the important item.

Thru the years I've usually put the stickers on each side of the steering head or on the side panels, and I've seen a lot of bikes with the stickers on the fork tubes but if both if the tubes don't have reduced diameters between the triples or different diameters it is hard to remove the tubes if the stickers are between the triples. On my last bike I debated how often I might replace fenders or number plates and the cost of new stickers, finally gave up and put one on the number plate and one on the rear fender.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:33 PM

I could be wrong but I think the DOL regs allow you to put the numbers on the bike without using the sticker, the renewal sticky is the important item.

can anyone confirm? that would be awesome if i dont have to have the ugly orv stickers, just the two date stickers, one on each side. link to regs?

• Zondebok

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:36 PM

I cant even find anything about it on the DOL website. Nothing about cost, requirements, or anything.

• Woods_Rider

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:20 PM

I cant even find anything about it on the DOL website. Nothing about cost, requirements, or anything.

Same here. My most recent bike was my first one that I had to get ORV tabs for, when I picked up the tabs I was surprised to not find any instructions what-so-ever on where to put them.

No problem I thought, I'll find the info online.

Nope. Nada. Zilch.

I stuck em on my fork tubes.

Just waiting for the day I get hassled about where they are "supposed" to be applied.

What a joke.

And still debating whether or not I will bother renewing them when the time comes.

• uuhhhh

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:33 PM

I put mine in the garbage.

• MyFirstThumper

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:11 PM

:thumbsup:

I put mine in the garbage.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.