Suspension Rebuild Expectations?

9 replies to this topic
  • AquaNut

Posted March 21, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Getting my suspension rebuilt on my 08 YZ 450 and trying to figure out what to expect. I weigh 180lbs. and every time I'm in soft sand or whooped out terrain, I'm constantly fighting my bike to stay on track..... If I land flat on a peaked out table top, my joints hurt for days....

My suspension guy is going to revalve and respring the front and revalve the rear. Investing $350 so wanted to make sure this is a good investment.

thanks for any feedback!

• Steel Panther

Posted March 21, 2011 - 04:49 PM

edit, stock springs should be fine for your weight imo.

Edited by Steel Panther, March 21, 2011 - 08:39 PM.

• Family Man

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:26 PM

you might want to post this in the suspension forum first. I bet you can get it ironed out yourself. maybee just with the clickers and oil level..

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Not if you want a real improvement over stock.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:14 PM

you fall into the proper weight range of stock springs, I would not respring. I am 190 B MX, I run stock springs and SMART valving and oil. You dont really feel it when you are trying to, but when you go through breaking bumps all day and you buddies are talking about how bad they are and you didnt even notice them ... you suspension is working well. I dont know what valving your guy is going to do for you but I would look into the SMART kit, it is a proven winner for us YZ guys. "do it, do it" smart valving, do it

"If I land flat on a peaked out table top"

Also what did you mean by this ? Most all suspension is going to bottom of large flat landings. From the sound of it you may be a little low on fork oil, that is really the only thing I could think that would allow you to be blowing through the stroke at your weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gscx

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:16 PM

350 for springs and a re-valve on the front and rear? Holy crap, does he do alot of work around that area? How does the smart kit compare in price?

• FiremanKay

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:24 PM

350 for springs and a re-valve on the front and rear? Holy crap, does he do alot of work around that area? How does the smart kit compare in price?

The are working on the Site at SMART right now but I believe the kit is $180 ball park. It is a DIY kit, you can search in on the forum, there is a lot of info. Also there are quite a few SMART installers around, you can email them and they can direct you to one. I am about 3 hrs from Delaware and I have a SMART guy 10mins from me. Heres the site

• gscx

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks man. It looks like he really helps out his customers too

• tpars121

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:26 AM

My SPI kit included all the oil and parts for $240 plus shipping. This did not include fork or shock springs.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:05 AM

If you use the "Dell Taco" kit from SMART, be sure to get the kit for the rear shock as well. The fork will come out really well by itself, but can't live up to its full potential with the stock shock the way it is. The difference in stability in the whoops at speed is incredible.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.