Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Whats kind of bar bend is everyone running?? stock bars are way too low

• moto278

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:43 AM

i run rm high bend. thinkin bout tryin windham bend tho

• rdefonce

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:47 AM

Whats kind of bar bend is everyone running?? stock bars are way too low

Stock on my bike, however I just got into the Fasstco Flexx Bars group buy. (see link at top of page, 2 days left) I selected the 12 degree Moto. I believe those are a bit taller than stock Yamaha bars . . .

• heezay

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:09 PM

running windham bend twinwalls :thumbsup:

• mx725

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:17 PM

i was thinking bout them or reed/henry pro tapers

• YamaLink

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have 1/4" aluminum spacers under the stock bars but I also like the RM High my friend uses; he's a lot taller than me but I seem to do well with a very open ergo/layout on some bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:11 AM

The thing I like the most about the Windham bend (which Pro Taper also refers to as the RM Mid) is that it not only raises the hand position, it moves it forward as well, especially vs. the Henry/Reed bend. This makes the bike much easier to stand over for long periods of time since you can stand fairly well balanced on the pegs rather than leaning back to get the right amount of working room for your arms. I am not particularly tall at 5'10", either, although my arms and legs are longish for that height.

• SEOINAGE

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:25 AM

The nice thing about the '10 450 is that there are four positions to place the bar. It won't really change height but from front to back. I am in the furthest forward position currently and liked it last time i went riding although one back might be better. I would like my bars slightly taller but not much. I also rotate my bars forward slightly.

So i guess it is a nice thing if u get a new bar, you can at least have enough adjustment from the stock top triple and clamps to move it around.

I also know some taller guys that have high bars and risers. If it is that far off for you try bars first imo, but I would also play around with bar placement before making a purchase as moving forward and rotating helped me out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THE-OG-694

Posted March 22, 2011 - 02:57 PM

mc twinwalls....

• Troutman

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:07 PM

I am 6' - 4" and went with the KX high's in the forward position :thumbsup:

• 95s10nj

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'm 6' and running the renthal twinwall rc's aka 997

• barns19

Posted May 08, 2011 - 09:32 PM

easton high in the way back position

• rcmxracing

Posted May 09, 2011 - 06:40 AM

I'm 5' 10", but long torso and arms and I'm currently running the stock bars in the forward clamp mount hole with the bar clamps rotated in the back position and the bars on the center mark. I figured something out though: Recently I made a change to what I said above. The change was rotating the bars to the center mark, BEFORE I had them rotated forward to the second tic mark which is how I ran them on my 08 YZ450. I had ridden my '10 like this for 20 hours. I was struggling with corners. I made the simple change of pulling them back one tic to dead center and instantly the bike handled better and my cornering has improved dramatically. I still can't believe one simple stupid change could make that much difference. Now it makes me want to try all sorts of bar bends and positions. Wish I had a factory budget! OBTW since a little worked I tried more and tested them rotated one tick back from center and I hated it - they felt low and in my lap when standing. I would like to try more bends and I think a higher bend might provide some benefit, and possibly less sweep and mounted further back.

• Pat E

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:16 PM

I am 6'2" and have tried pretty much every bend out there. Here's what I found finally works for me. Pro Taper- "Factory Suzuki/KTM" bend. Lower than Windhams, taller than Carmichaels, and straighter than Reed/Henrys. I run these with RG-3 clamps with the optional tall-forward clamps. Most important thing I have found- Don't rotate your bars too far forward in the clamps. I like them at the zero position, and it made a big difference in turning. Remember, the bar has a zero in a certain spot for a reason!

• honda907

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Gosh, on all my YZ 450's from 2009 to 2011, I pretty much run how it came. You guys make me think that I am missing something!! I even tried Sunline and ARC levers, but the stock levers work best for me. I put those other levers on my two sons bikes. I am average build ( 5-10, 188 and 50ish, been racing since 1976).

I must be just "old" as my kids say, but until they beat me......

• rcmxracing

Posted May 09, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I am 6'2" and have tried pretty much every bend out there. Here's what I found finally works for me. Pro Taper- "Factory Suzuki/KTM" bend. Lower than Windhams, taller than Carmichaels, and straighter than Reed/Henrys. I run these with RG-3 clamps with the optional tall-forward clamps. Most important thing I have found- Don't rotate your bars too far forward in the clamps. I like them at the zero position, and it made a big difference in turning. Remember, the bar has a zero in a certain spot for a reason!
P.S.- Anybody wanna buy some hardly used bars... every bend avail.!!!

Great post. I would like to try the Windham RM mid. Also are the factory Suzuki bars what comes stock on the newer rmz's?

• Pat E

Posted May 10, 2011 - 01:11 PM

Not sure what comes on the RMZ's... I discovered the Fact. Suz. bend by comparing all the measurments of each bar against one another. Height, sweep etc.. is all listed in mm for easy comparison. I'm not sure how each bar company compares with each other though... FYI- Reed doesn't even use the Reed/Henry bend, he uses Carmichaels. Guess he got beat by him so much he thought it must be the bars!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.