Finally had first ride on my 2011 450 !

10 replies to this topic
  • ChillyKTM

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:09 AM

Got to take it out yesterday for first time ! WOW what a different bike than my 08 in every way !! Awesome overall, gotta tweek my front suspension as it feels bit stiff , bike feels WAY lighter .... and as far as the " noise " ppl were chatting about from intake ??? .....sorry but didnt hear anything .
Doesnt start easy without out a touch of throttle ( not easily anyhow )
Does anyone think the brake pedal is a little high ?

• rdefonce

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:24 AM

My pedal feels about right, where it was set up as new. ('10, not '11 though)
I also did not experience the intake "noise" people chatted about.

I diverge . . .
I DID just install my MRD muffler (stock header/midpipe) and I notice it's quite a bit louder than the stock muffler, accept for WOT they're similar. Like the power better for sure. the MRD really lets it breathe on top, no flattening out like stock muffler.
3.5 hours on bike now.

• Pmason718

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:28 AM

To me the bike is to dam hard to start, lol.

• THE-OG-694

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Ive had my 11 at the track 3 or 4 times now. its a great bike...i added the pro circuit linkage arm and a yosh pipe...the funny thing is its easier to start when its cold. first or second kick every time, after a few laps its a little finicky but I've found with just a slight twist of the throttle half way through the kick it will fire 75% of the time...lol....

• SEOINAGE

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:28 AM

The rear brake is adjustable, I had to drop the thing a mile, as I would accidentally be hitting the rear brake when i went over bumps which didn't turn out good but could have been really bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THE-OG-694

Posted March 22, 2011 - 03:01 PM

The rear brake is adjustable, I had to drop the thing a mile, as I would accidentally be hitting the rear brake when i went over bumps which didn't turn out good but could have been really bad.

that or slide you foot back a bit..lol...

• swaldrop

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have had to adjust the rear brake down on every new Yamaha I have had for years. They are always high for my liking. I like the brake and the foot peg to be level.

I wouldn't mess with the suspension just yet. The bike should settle a bit after a few hours of ride time. If after that it still feels too stiff, then start adjusting.

The only time I hear the intake is when I have the high idle out (which is never out when riding). Other than that, it is silent. Some people may have an ear for it, but I never have.

• ChillyKTM

Posted March 23, 2011 - 02:40 AM

my bike starts pretty easily , tho if i had trouble that day i gave it the throttle twist and fired rite up .... the brake is adjustable as is or do i need to purchase a part to lower it ? can u walk me thru that please ....thanks
Aslo, the black nob behind the left rad is the idle correct ?

• HRC

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:47 AM

Yes, it´s the idle.

I also like to say the same about the intake noise....can´t seem to hear it ?

My bike starts easy if I turn the throttle slightly when kicking. (when warm)

• rdefonce

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:13 AM

my bike starts pretty easily , tho if i had trouble that day i gave it the throttle twist and fired rite up .... the brake is adjustable as is or do i need to purchase a part to lower it ? can u walk me thru that please ....thanks

Look under the rear brake master cylinder, there is a threaded rod going into it. the other end of the threaded rod is connected to the brake pedal. there is a lock nut on the rod. (I need to adjust mine, but haven't yet, but I believe you just loosen the locknut and turn the threaded rod to adjust the pedal height.) Tighten the locknut when the pedal is at desired height.

• SEOINAGE

Posted March 23, 2011 - 06:27 AM

It should also have instructions in the owner's manual.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.