Brightest possible headlight setup that maintains stock look

21 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:47 PM

One of the reasons that I bought my WR is that I really love the way that it looks. The stock headlight, while pretty, sure doesn't do much when you are actually riding at night though. I know that people have installed brighter bulbs in the stock headlight. What works best? Would a stator rewind help to make that bulb even brighter? How much better is that new trail tech X2 than the stocker? Are any of those little clip on lights worth a damn? When it starts getting hot in a few months, I'd like to start riding at night.

• dustdogg

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:12 PM

I have tried brighter bulbs and they do help but not enough. I would suggest looking into this: http://airtime-hid.com/ It's based on the Baja Designs headlight shell which doesn't look as good as the stocker but the improvement in light is well worth it. I have ridden with several guys with this light and it is definately the best stock looking HID setup out there. You even have the ability to run low, high or both at the same time. I plan on getting one for my bike soon. I know the WR 450's will need to have the stator rewound to run this light. Just read up on the website and it will explain the details.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have tried brighter bulbs and they do help but not enough. I would suggest looking into this: http://airtime-hid.com/ It's based on the Baja Designs headlight shell which doesn't look as good as the stocker but the improvement in light is well worth it. I have ridden with several guys with this light and it is definately the best stock looking HID setup out there. You even have the ability to run low, high or both at the same time. I plan on getting one for my bike soon. I know the WR 450's will need to have the stator rewound to run this light. Just read up on the website and it will explain the details.

Ditto on the JAT light...however, the there is no 'rewind' for the WR. You can float the groud but that wont run both the hi and low at the same time on the air time hid. For that, you will need to go after market on the stator ie trail tech or ricky stator :thumbsup:

• dustdogg

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Ditto on the JAT light...however, the there is no 'rewind' for the WR. You can float the groud but that wont run both the hi and low at the same time on the air time hid. For that, you will need to go after market on the stator ie trail tech or ricky stator :thumbsup:

Thanks....good info to know. The Airtime website refers you to the Baja Designs chart in order to run the light. Basically you need to see what is needed for your particular bike to run the Baja Designs Diablo HID light as it is similar to the Airtime HID as far as power requirements. This is where I saw that the 450's need a rewind, but this may not seem entirely true. I would be interested to here more about the newer WR's running HID's.:bonk:

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, see that light works awesome but it's hideous. I guess I don't get to have something that looks good and works. Anyone try that trailtech x2?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:04 AM

I would be interested to here more about the newer WR's running HID's.:thumbsup:

Here is all the info regarding hid's and stators of the newer WR's (I've done alot of testing and YES the airtime-hid is nice)

http://www.thumperta...=07 stator talk

Yeah, see that light works awesome but it's hideous.

Really? I think it looks awesome!

Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, see that light works awesome but it's hideous. I guess I don't get to have something that looks good and works. Anyone try that trailtech x2?

Hmmm, never really thought it looked hideous, just very off road like. That light shell has far, far better optics than the stocker and a glass lens. Even if you don't go the hid route, the stock halogen bulb in the BD light is still way better than the stock light. I also like the fact that it gives you a lot of extra room behind the shell for other stuff.

If anyone thinks the stock light is that cool, I have a virtually shiny new looking stock light that I'd part with for less than you'd pay for the BD light.

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 21, 2011 - 04:11 PM

Here is all the info regarding hid's and stators of the newer WR's (I've done alot of testing and YES the airtime-hid is nice)

http://www.thumperta...=07 stator talk

Really? I think it looks awesome!

Posted Image

See, it doesn't look that bad because the rest of your bike looks sweet. I dont know, I just hate that baja designs shell. I will just have to live with it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I just hate that baja designs shell. I will just have to live with it.

It gives GREAT light! Also, give it some time, it will grow on you :thumbsup:

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:49 PM

So Coop, I was reading your whole stator post, and you seem to be the dude to talk to about a good complete night riding setup. I'm starting from scratch here, the bikes electrical system is bone stock. I will be doing mostly medium tree cover woods riding. As of right now I want to go with the headlight pictured above, was planning on using a trail tech stator, and then one of the trail tech helmet light setups. I'm trying to get as much light as I can for about 1000 total. For that budget, forgetting about my earlier desire to keep the bike stock looking, what setup would you run to produce the absolute most light?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ajh42e

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have an 07 WR 450 with stock stator and im running the Trail Tech halogen X2 Torch and Not the DOT model but the off road one and for about $75.00 i paid for it that light is great. I have ridden some tight single track at night and yes you can out ride the light at times but im not racing and half the time i have to wait up for my friends anyway. A good helmet light would help make up for the dark spots. During the day i have it set to run the small light as a low beam and have a switch to add the 4"high beam. Also with some work i got the stock speedo to stay in place and everything looks clean and not rigged. I have seen the HID X2 and that is a great light i think its better then the BD Tecate! just my 2Cents.

AJ

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:20 AM

So Coop, I was reading your whole stator post, and you seem to be the dude to talk to about a good complete night riding setup. I'm starting from scratch here, the bikes electrical system is bone stock. I will be doing mostly medium tree cover woods riding. As of right now I want to go with the headlight pictured above, was planning on using a trail tech stator, and then one of the trail tech helmet light setups. I'm trying to get as much light as I can for about 1000 total. For that budget, forgetting about my earlier desire to keep the bike stock looking, what setup would you run to produce the absolute most light?

If money is not an object and you want the best bang for the buck...then a trail tech stator and an airtime-hid is all you need :thumbsup:

That is my current setup and I dont even run the helmet light I bought :bonk:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'm starting from scratch here, the bikes electrical system is bone stock. I will be doing mostly medium tree cover woods riding. I'm trying to get as much light as I can for about 1000 total. For that budget, forgetting about my earlier desire to keep the bike stock looking, what setup would you run to produce the absolute most light?

Agree that you can do the hid hi/low in the BD shell along with the Trailtech stator for less than $1000, especially if you get the parts and put it together yourself. However, you are going to throw a ton of money at something that will not really benefit you that much. The hi/low is nice, but not really that beneficial unless you are in 5th gear. I ride desert and usually have it off unless I'm doing some high speed stuff. Will you be going that fast through the trees? A basic low beam hid setup that you build yourself using the BD standard light will set you back about $130-140 (BD light, hid 4300k H-4 bulb, slim 35 watt ballast, switch, inline fuse). You'll find this light will put out about 85% the light of a low/hi beam combo and be exactly where you need it in the woods. The high beam really only fills in above the low beam, and is not very useful unless you're really moving or like looking for owls in the trees as you ride. If you decide afterwards that it is still not enough light, you can always add the 2nd ballast and hi/low bulb for maybe another $80.

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:17 PM

Agree that you can do the hid hi/low in the BD shell along with the Trailtech stator for less than $1000, especially if you get the parts and put it together yourself. However, you are going to throw a ton of money at something that will not really benefit you that much. The hi/low is nice, but not really that beneficial unless you are in 5th gear. I ride desert and usually have it off unless I'm doing some high speed stuff. Will you be going that fast through the trees? A basic low beam hid setup that you build yourself using the BD standard light will set you back about $130-140 (BD light, hid 4300k H-4 bulb, slim 35 watt ballast, switch, inline fuse). You'll find this light will put out about 85% the light of a low/hi beam combo and be exactly where you need it in the woods. The high beam really only fills in above the low beam, and is not very useful unless you're really moving or like looking for owls in the trees as you ride. If you decide afterwards that it is still not enough light, you can always add the 2nd ballast and hi/low bulb for maybe another $80.

I don't need the high/low capability, just the high. Ha ha. Yes, I will hopefully be going fast through the trees. A low key light isn't really going to fit the bill here. I want to get the most light that I can, period. Spending a few bucks to get back 3 entire months of riding that the daytime heat has always taken away from me is fine.

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:21 PM

If money is not an object and you want the best bang for the buck...then a trail tech stator and an airtime-hid is all you need :thumbsup:

That is my current setup and I dont even run the helmet light I bought :bonk:

If you wanted to, is there enough to power to run the helmet light off the stator too, or am I going to have to run them off batteries? I think that the helmet light is going to be useful to me because a lot of the time the bike won't really be pointed where I need to go next, but my head will be.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:28 PM

If you wanted to, is there enough to power to run the helmet light off the stator too, or am I going to have to run them off batteries? I think that the helmet light is going to be useful to me because a lot of the time the bike won't really be pointed where I need to go next, but my head will be.

You'd be pushing it because when you got to an all DC system the CDI/Bike is now getting the spark from the battery and I have no idea how much power that takes.

If go with the airtime-hid and always run both hi/low at the same time, you wont need a helmet light. But if you do want one, just get one with a good lil-ion battery and you will have 3-6 hours of run time.

Oh and if you dont want a hi/low then just do as Brett said and convert a halogen Baja Designs to HID!

• ARin

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Mine still looks pretty stock.

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I put on the trail tech stator and used a HID kit. It bright and durable and fits the stock headlight.

I got mine from ddmtuning (www.ddmtuning.com) It was pretty cheap. Add a helmet light to that and you'll light up the forest.

• woods-rider

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:57 AM

I put on the trail tech stator and used a HID kit. It bright and durable and fits the stock headlight.

I got mine from ddmtuning (www.ddmtuning.com) It was pretty cheap. Add a helmet light to that and you'll light up the forest.

Did you have any trouble aiming the light high enough after the HID conversion?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 23, 2011 - 08:22 AM

If you are purely looking for "the most light possible", then a double 8" is the way to go. Way big and heavy though and of no real benefit in the trees.

This light throws out nearly as much in a narrower package
http://www.bajadesig... Electric Start

Personally, I think it is a bit over priced when you can take this one and convert it to hid yourself for maybe $65.
http://www.bajadesig...o Rally Halogen

The hi/low setup is nice, but will not give you anywhere near as much light. It becomes a fuction of reflector area more than watts. As to the helmet light, I think they are great to have no matter how much light you are running on the bike. Nothing like being able to turn your head sideways to scout out a trail while you are moving forward. Coop and I both have 10 watt led helmet lights (Cyclops & BD) that will run about 6 hours on a 6500 mah lithium battery. It's quite a benefit to have it run on a battery rather than be plugged in, especially if you find your self walking around or fixing something. I have ridden with two people that run both helmet and main light off the stator, had an electrical problem, and found themselves in complete darkness. Not fun.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.