smog removal kit For KLX 450R

17 replies to this topic
  • dirttracker_30

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Did I see some where,that there is a kit sold to get rid of all the smog stuff,instead of just plugging the hoses?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muxherdlr

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Here you go....I just ordered it! Applied Racing has the AIS removal kit

http://appliedrace.c...1b082ad1a8f07e6

• dirttracker_30

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thanks ,there goes another 50 bucks

• mxphlipper

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

If ur not worried about saving weight and just want to clean up the jetting:

http://www.thumperta...ht=ball bearing

• bob_e95482

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:03 AM

I cut off the tube to the cylinder head and pressed in a piece of 5/16" aluminum rod. An 8mm or 5/16 bolt would suffice. I used one of the mount screws for the smog pump to plug the intake, and a 3/8 set screw to plug the airbox fitting. Cost to me-$0.

• badklx450r

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

does anyone have any pictures of the mods that they have done in the ais removal? Is the 50.00 kits worth the money because they look nice or do you not even see the plugs?

• DRZ400SK4

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:30 AM

does anyone have any pictures of the mods that they have done in the ais removal?

I went the cheap-skate route. It literally cost me less than a dollar...

AIS-ectomy...
Posted Image

Had to fab up an alloy plate for the exhaust port block-off, and whack some high-temp silicone to it...
Posted Image

The airbox block-off was simple enough, with a vacuum line cap...
Posted Image

A stainless bolt and some blue Locktite took care of the manifold block-off...
Posted Image

• Dean Tanaka

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

I think I got a kit for a crf250/450 from xrsonly, I think for under $30 and it fit with the reuse of 1 bolt...

• dres0081

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:20 AM

wish i could add rep for the pics. i think im going the same route as i already have all the materials in my garage

• dres0081

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

just got rid of my smog pump today and man does it open up some space to work.

used a bolt with locktite for the hole on the intake manifold, and a vaccum plug on the airbox.

for the metal line that is on the front of the motor i just pulled the line cut the metal tubing about 1 1/2" before the flange that bolts to the motor. found a bolt that threaded into the pipe and put high temp silicone RTV on the threads when threading it in and capped it all off with a rubber cooling line plug and a hose clamp only cost was for the two bolts less than a dollar.

all in all im glad i just fabbed it to work rather than spending money on the kit and it still looks clean.

• Grahamco

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have the Applied Racing kit, but I don't remember paying that much for it. I believe White Bros sells a kit for the CRFs, as mentioned, for about 30.
You only see the plugs if you're really hunting, they aren't really in your face.

• Rome06379

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

Cost me nothing to block off AIS. Just used stuff in the shop:thumbsup:

• cesk

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

I have the Applied Racing kit, but I don't remember paying that much for it. I believe White Bros sells a kit for the CRFs, as mentioned, for about 30.
You only see the plugs if you're really hunting, they aren't really in your face.

do you have any pictures of the kit installed?What did it improve for you?
Thanks

• Grahamco

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

do you have any pictures of the kit installed?What did it improve for you?
Thanks

I dont, but I can take some when I get my bike back together. Hopefully soon. It keeps my head pipe from getting so hot it glows, keeps heat down in general, gas doesn't boil, coolant doesn't boil. Doesn't pop all the time either. I jetted the bike at the same time which I'm sure played a big role.

• cesk

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

I dont, but I can take some when I get my bike back together. Hopefully soon. It keeps my head pipe from getting so hot it glows, keeps heat down in general, gas doesn't boil, coolant doesn't boil. Doesn't pop all the time either. I jetted the bike at the same time which I'm sure played a big role.

Very cool. Thank you. Looking forward to see the pics. I went to their site but aside from seeing a small picture of the kit items, it's not clear how it would look on our bike.

• wielywilly-g

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I took a couple pics when I did mine a few months back: not very good pics.
I purchased it for the guideance and peace-of-mind the directions offered. I wasn't sure what line to put a marble into and what holes to plug..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• jimmyh

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Weily, hell of a smart move with the tie-down on the stand, gotta use that trick.

• wielywilly-g

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

I am not sure about smart... I was getting a little crazy trying to break the front sprocket loose and found myself NEEDING the tie down strap. :smirk:
Thanks Though!

Related Content

Wiki
How to shave and step a seat - last post by mele63

How to shave and step a seat

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2010 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2010
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Photo of my KLX - let's see yours... by PigPenKLX450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX450R
  • Hot  446 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008
  • 7 reviews
  • Last review by F1Fan
  • On 25 March 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.