Pipe questions

11 replies to this topic
  • elroyona426

Posted April 18, 2001 - 06:22 PM

Who makes a good exhaust system (header and silencer)for low to mid power without losing top end? I've looked at and read about a ton of them but every mag seems to say different things. Seems no one can agree on this topic.

I serve up dirt cakes with my 426

• racer629

Posted April 18, 2001 - 06:37 PM

I slipped a Power Core IV silencer on my stock header, and the low to mid hit is wonderful. I lost some of the high rpm power, but I don't get that high in the rpm range anyway. I always run a gear high.
Makes short runs to jumps very unfair against the two smokes. I can literally put up to the face of things, and just.... BRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!! Right over everything. Is a bit louder though.

• OTBC_yz426f

Posted April 18, 2001 - 07:12 PM

White Brothers carbon fibre and Doug ti header has great low to bottom end. There isn't that much reduction in top end.

[This message has been edited by OTBC_yz426f (edited 04-18-2001).]

• Boit

Posted April 18, 2001 - 08:33 PM

Ditto on the White Brother's carbon fiber silencer/ti header combo. With careful jetting and using the proper race gas, the 426 really wakes up on the low end.

• elroyona426

Posted April 20, 2001 - 08:42 AM

What White Bros carbon Fiber is that the pro-meg with the carbon can or the totally carbon fiber silencer?? do you have to run the race gas for that setup?? thanks for the feedback guys, I want to really do my homework before I go blow 400+ on something that might not give me waht I'm looking for.

• Boit

Posted April 20, 2001 - 11:00 AM

Mine is the "E" series carbon fiber silencer with no discs. It actually comes with the end cap riveted on. You certainly don't have to run race gas but, to get the most out of this machine, the proper race gas AND careful jetting AND carburetor setup will yield the most performance. I've been using VP C-12 for some time now but want to try the Sunoco Maximal which is formulated for 10,000+ RPM applications. Pump gas is made for the "average" sedan which typically has a redline of about 6000 RPM. Also, pump gas is notoriously inconsistent in quality. In the end, it's really up to you to decide if the added expense is cost effective.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • F-Pilot

Posted April 22, 2001 - 07:10 PM

Try the aluminum Pro-Meg with no discs, I have one on my '00. Lots more bottom and mid and it still pulls hard on top but you just don't need it with the grunt.
Much less $$ and more durable than the carbon but not nearly as trick.

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 04-22-2001).]

• cowboyona426

Posted May 08, 2001 - 03:53 PM

I also run an FMF Power Core IV on a stock header on a 00 YZ 426F. I can't complain one bit! It gives more low but does rob a small amount of top, not a very noticeable amount though. It makes the bottom stronger and easier to pull a high gear and rip it up!

• dirtdad

Posted May 09, 2001 - 09:15 PM

FMF has an updated power core IV S/A that will be available next week. It is designated the "Q" (for quiet). It's supposed to have the same characteristics as the original (better bottom/mid, slight loss on top) but much quieter. For those looking for a spark arrestor and less noise, this may be just the ticket.

00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

• elroyona426

Posted May 09, 2001 - 06:38 PM

Has anybody had good luck or knows what the Big Gun Race system is like???

• racer629

Posted May 15, 2001 - 07:55 PM

One of the guys that I ride with just put an entire big gun system on his 426, and he says that mine is still faster, and all I have is the Power Core IV can w/ the stock header. Man is he pissed off!!!!! Spent almost 600 on the whole thing.

• racer629

Posted May 15, 2001 - 07:56 PM

One of the guys that I ride with just put an entire big gun system on his 426, and he says that mine is still faster, and all I have is the Power Core IV can w/ the stock header. Man is he pissed off!!!!! Spent almost 600 on the whole thing.

Mr. Wizard says: "Go BIG, or go home!"

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.