YZ450f Year Model Identification?

5 replies to this topic
  • chainsaw37

Posted March 20, 2011 - 10:03 AM

How does one identify the year model on a supposed 2007 YZ450f?
All I see is the serial number on the head tube and on the subframe, but I can't make heads or tales out of the letters or numbers? :thumbsup:
I remember back in the day, the year model was displayed in large, readable numbers... like Honda still does - "year model 2007" on the head tube!
Also, the manual I received with the bike says copyright 2006, 1st edition July 2006? I checked on line and it appears as though the manual is correct and July 2006 would make sense since you wouldn't wait until late 2006 for a 2006 manual! I am aware that bike models are always way ahead of the actual year.
Thanks guys...

• niles

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Usually anything past the 6th month is considered the next model year.

• 03SVT

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:40 AM

IIRC i think the 8th number in the vin is the year

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skull1971

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:56 PM

I was told once that its the 8th number back from the end.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:39 PM

The TENTH character in the VIN is the year model ID. For an '07, it would be a "7", an '08 would be an "8".

• YamaLink

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:14 PM

Yes, 10th. On a related note there was a used Yamaha seller in the UK passing off an older Yamaha as a newer one based on the date is was registered. This seller took advantage of the VIN uneducated and would sell a 2002 as a 2005!

"Hmmm, the paperwork says it's an 05 so I will pay 05 prices." I've had to tell a few of them their bike was actually much older and the reaction is what you'd expect based on deceit and monetary scam.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.