Clutch overheating?

3 replies to this topic
  • twomancrew

Posted March 19, 2011 - 11:43 AM

YZ 450 08. I am always messing with my clutch. Bike overheats in technical sections and I loose clutch. Adjust and then when trail opens up it cools and then I have no slack and have to let out cable. Have fairly new Hinson cluth basket. New fibers. Oil - BelRay Thumper semi-synth SAE 10-40. Has me worried because temps have been cool 45-60 degrees, what is going to happen when air temp is 90 - 100+ this summer. I have another YZ450 08 & I never had to touch the clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:05 PM

New fibers.

From whom?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skull1971

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:00 PM

YZ 450 08. I am always messing with my clutch. Bike overheats in technical sections and I loose clutch. Adjust and then when trail opens up it cools and then I have no slack and have to let out cable. Have fairly new Hinson cluth basket. New fibers. Oil - BelRay Thumper semi-synth SAE 10-40. Has me worried because temps have been cool 45-60 degrees, what is going to happen when air temp is 90 - 100+ this summer. I have another YZ450 08 & I never had to touch the clutch.

My 08 is 100% stock and it does the same thing,, good thing it has the EZ adjuster. On the other hand I too would like to know why it does this. My only guess is that the plates get hot and expand in the basket, causing more free play.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:45 PM

My 08 is 100% stock and it does the same thing,...My only guess is that the plates get hot and expand in the basket, causing more free play.

That's it in a nutshell. The '06 clutch has one extra plate than the '07 and up, and you can convert yours to one. Better to use the gearbox more and the clutch less.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.