Intake cam hard to turn?

5 replies to this topic
  • twomancrew

Posted March 19, 2011 - 11:02 AM

YZ 450 08. Intake cam cannot turn by hand. Can move w/ screw driver placed in gear teeth. Tensioner is released. Exhaust cam moves easily. Cam journal has minimal marks, does not look burnt or discolored. Thought cam would get looser with use not tighter. Fear jumping cam chain. Need to sell bike and do not want to just pass on problem. 7ftlb torque. Bike has a ton of hours on it.

• tech24

Posted March 19, 2011 - 02:12 PM

I assume you had the cams off???? Remove the cam again. Make sure the cam journals are very clean and apply plenty of oil then toruque down in stages to 7lbs for example torque them in a criss cross patter to 2 ft lbs then repeat to 4 ft lbs the to 7. I have had this problem before as well, hopefully thats all it is. I've even had a 250f that Were stiff when done and nothing I did made it any better. Fired the bike up and let it run and rechecked. They were free to spin again.

• RJacks

Posted March 19, 2011 - 02:13 PM

What about your clearances? Are they tight?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Padgett

Posted March 19, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Did you forget to put the half moon key in the cam bearing?

• twomancrew

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Actually took this cam journal off to steal the half moon key for another bike. Got new key. Did not check valve clearances. Will check clearances. Had not thought that if a clearance is tight it would restrict movement. Just ordered new inch/lb torque wrench. When I get it I will tighten in stages also. Thanks for the fresh perspective and input guys.

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:13 PM

He's talking about checking the clearance between the camshaft and the head (or at least he should be). This is done with a "PlastiGage" as shown in the manual.

The intake cams tend to be fitted quite snugly in most YZF's, and it is fairly normal to find them feeling tight to rotate with the fingers, but they should not be impossible. Is there a chance you torqued the cams incorrectly (not in sequence, and/or without a torque wrench)? The caps are very easily distorted.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.