Case saver smashed my case!

13 replies to this topic
  • captain caveman

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hello all first of all im not a new member for some reason i cant log in tried resting my password but still cant log in :thumbsup:

Anyway enough of that for a few years now ive had a aftermarket case saver fitted to my 04 wr 450 dident have the original one with the bike.
anyway a few weeks ago my chain snapped Renthal heavy duty o ring with was less than a few weeks old.

as if that wasent bad enough the chain wrapped around the front sprocket with bent the alloy case saver witch in turn cracked the case around the clutch arm :bonk:

so im thinking now when i get the bike repaired just to run it without a case saver at all seeing as its what done the damage.

what do you lot think?

Posted Image

• lexintexan

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Looks like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't! That said, I think I would try and find an oem case saver and run that next time. They use them for a reason.

• brentn

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Good reason to pull off the chain every once in a while and measure wear/stretch. Regardless of weather you have a saver or not it's irrelevant as long as you chain is in good shape.

• captain caveman

Posted March 19, 2011 - 01:58 PM

chain was less than a month old, if you have a look you can see the split link is still on the end of the chain.
Its the backing link the part that holds the pins that snapped.
untill this happened the chain has never come off or snapped in the past.

• brentn

Posted March 19, 2011 - 03:48 PM

what brand chain?

I've never seen a stock yammy chain snap and I've seen some very very abused and stretched ones.
Maybe you were running your chain too tight? But you'd think the weak part of the drive would be the sprocket and not the chain..

• MaxPower

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:58 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I cant see why anyone thinks a case saver would do anything to keep a chain from damaging a case being held on with 2 small 6mm bolts.
If the case saver were bolted to the frame maybe but otherwise a broken chain is going to do a lot of damage[/COLOR]

• ttr250dude

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:31 PM

Sounds familiar. My buddy had a bull bar on the front of his Ford so he wouldnt damage his truck if he hit a deer. He hit a deer but the bull bar bent enough to smash his headlight and dent his FR quarter panel. So much for quality protection, eh?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:59 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I cant see why anyone thinks a case saver would do anything to keep a chain from damaging a case being held on with 2 small 6mm bolts.
If the case saver were bolted to the frame maybe but otherwise a broken chain is going to do a lot of damage[/COLOR]

The original purpose was never to "save the case". It was put there to keep the chain from derailing under high speed decelerations. If you create conditions that cause the chain to break, nothing will "save" the case.

• captain caveman

Posted March 20, 2011 - 02:32 PM

It was Renthal chain. so do you think its worth fitting anther case saver or leave it off all together?

im thinking maybe the case saver saved the chain damaging the flywheel and starter covers.

but maybe without it there would be a bit more space for the chain to go else where should it happen again?

• shrubitup

Posted March 20, 2011 - 02:37 PM

What's your gearing?

• ttr250dude

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:13 PM

The original purpose was never to "save the case". It was put there to keep the chain from derailing under high speed decelerations. If you create conditions that cause the chain to break, nothing will "save" the case.

Would the chain be more likely to derail if someone were to use a 12 tooth sprocket rather than the stock 13 tooth?

• shrubitup

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:58 PM

yes because it puts an odd angle into the chain alignment.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Would the chain be more likely to derail if someone were to use a 12 tooth sprocket rather than the stock 13 tooth?

Slightly, but it's usually not a problem to run one tooth either way from stock with the stock guide (which is what the factory calls it)

chain was less than a month old, if you have a look you can see the split link is still on the end of the chain.
Its the backing link the part that holds the pins that snapped.

Usually caused by incorrect adjustment (too tight)

... so do you think its worth fitting anther case saver or leave it off all together?

You need the so called "case saver" for the reasons I stated in post #8.

• captain caveman

Posted March 21, 2011 - 11:50 AM

well thanks for the replies so far don't think i had the chain to tight ive had the bike almost 4 years so have a good idea on the adjustment but i guess its not impossible.
running a standard size front 47 rear sprocket's.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.