I have to store the YZ for 2 years!

33 replies to this topic
  • tpastrana

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I do all of my own work, which includes getting it really clean to sell it every other year or two so I can buy a new one! :thumbsup:

I am not saying that you have to have a brand new bike all the time (although I would recommend it), but unless your bike is a restored classic, sell it. Your shiny bolt on parts can be sold on Ebay.

Personally, I have never understood how people can be so in love with these things and hold on to them for so long. One thing is for sure though, it does sound like you may have invested too much money in to it. :bonk:

Im not trying to argue or anything. The exterior is all stock, all of the money is in the motor, and suspension. If you have a bike that is setup perfectly for how you ride power preference and suspension, man it sucks to get everything perfect again. Sure I guess were in love ive had this thing since 04 picked it up new the year after, its to much of a hassle to buy new unless you get a steal. I like saving the 1500-2500 dollars you spend every year, and use it on the good stuff that your new stocker with bolton's doesn't have.

• tpastrana

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Your storage list is pretty comprehensive. I personally prefer "wet" storage over dry as this new Ethanol fuel leaves behind a corrosive fungal residue on the surface of fuel system carb components. The other issue that I can tell you from experience that could possible be more problematic than the fuel is RODENTS ! Mice and chipmunks will wreak havoc if the little bastards can gain access to your stored YZ ! Where is your bike being stored ?

Its being stored in the front of my garage, it isnt heated, which in the winters might be a problem because of condensation which worries me.

• SEOINAGE

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:44 AM

I left my bike for two years and then some more, basically the lower linkage froze solid, I recently bought a new bike.

The reason I didn't sell my bike when i was going to be gone for two years was because I figured i wouldn't buy another when i got back for a long time. But had I sold it before I could have gotten a decent amount of cash and wouldn't still have the old bike that needs a serious restore. I didn't take proper precautions and it ended up spending a decent amount of time outside after a while. I still love the bike and would like to go through the entire thing and keep it as a second machine even though it is ancient.

I honestly would see if you can't take a little cash loss and sell it, two years will go by, you get stuck doing other things when you get back, before you know it your bike will be really old.

• usp4u

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:29 AM

take it with you to Ohio and ride.

• Jeekinz

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Lube the linkage, rear brake and kick start pivots, lube the cables. If you have an aluminum frame apply anti-seize to anything that threads into the frame.

I wouldn't worry about the valve springs. My 900 was stored for 14+ years and has zero valvetrain issues.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about the valve springs. My 900 was stored for 14+ years and has zero valvetrain issues.

With a single cylinder, one thing you can do is to turn the engine up against compression before you leave it. That closes the valves, seals out the outside moisture, and prevents the seats from rusting.

• ericaz

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:11 AM

There is a lot of riding to be done in Ohio too. Take it with you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tpastrana

Posted March 21, 2011 - 11:51 AM

If i could take it with me I would!

• tpastrana

Posted March 21, 2011 - 11:59 AM

I left my bike for two years and then some more, basically the lower linkage froze solid, I recently bought a new bike.

The reason I didn't sell my bike when i was going to be gone for two years was because I figured i wouldn't buy another when i got back for a long time. But had I sold it before I could have gotten a decent amount of cash and wouldn't still have the old bike that needs a serious restore. I didn't take proper precautions and it ended up spending a decent amount of time outside after a while. I still love the bike and would like to go through the entire thing and keep it as a second machine even though it is ancient.

I honestly would see if you can't take a little cash loss and sell it, two years will go by, you get stuck doing other things when you get back, before you know it your bike will be really old.

This 450 has just been COMPLETELY rebuilt, I mean absolutely everything, transmission, crank, top end, new cylinder head ported by eric gore with new valves, and seats. I dont want to take a 1500 dollars loss for no reason. I might be able to get 2200 out of it even with receipts. The economy is so low right now, check out how many bikes are on my local classifieds right now! http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13 go down to used dirtbikes. Everyone uses it because listing and selling everything is free, the local paper doesn't even compare.

• rickallen124

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:51 AM

If you have a good friend, preferably a older rider that you trust, I'd have them ride it every month or two for an hour or so if possible. That way it gets run and the parts don't have a chance of seizing together. I had an older friend that did that while I was away for an extended period of time and the bike was fine when I came back. I'd get everything lubed/greased up before you go and see if you can find someone to ride it occasionally on trails etc and change the oil periodicly.

• cadesdad

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:05 AM

I think you will want a 250f or even a 125 after 2 years of riding bicycles. You have probably never experienced arm pump before but trust me it's very real, especially on a "built" 450. I thought I was a man when I got home but I couldn't hang on after a hundred yards on my cr 500, what an eye opener. Good luck!

• yz450fcranker

Posted March 29, 2011 - 02:31 PM

drain the gas run some fogging oil all over the carb and intake fire it one more time and spray chain lube all over the outside it works

• mirotmonster

Posted April 09, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Put a little bit (about a teaspoon) of oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then put the plug back in and kick it a couple times.

• Tucraysz2

Posted April 09, 2011 - 01:19 PM

send it to me and I'll protect it.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.